BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oh Yeah!!!



“Hey! Hey! Hey, hey, hey!
Macho, macho man (macho man)
I've got to be, a macho man
Macho, macho man
I've got to be a macho! Ow....”
-The Village People


Friday in Seminole, Fla. a little piece of my childhood perished when Macho Man Randy Savage’s car careened over a median into oncoming traffic and collided with a tree.

The medical examiner is still unsure of how Savage died but his brother Larry Poffo believes he had a heart attack. I think maybe he was just too awesome.

I know I’m just a little late to this party on this news but consider this the first memorial service for the Macho Man. Plus I wanted to see what the WWE would come up with for a tribute video and they didn’t disappoint at RAW last night.




What is there to say about a sports entertainment icon like Randy Savage? His flying elbow was one of the most recognizable and imitated movies in pro wrestling history. I should know. If my ribs hadn’t been covered with a substantial layer of husky boy padding my brother’s flying bow from my parent’s chest of drawers onto the bed would have destroyed most of my internal organs.

Savage’s colleagues in the wrestling industry have come out of the woodwork to talk about how much he meant to the business and how much he meant to each of them in a series of tweets.

My favorite thus far comes from Kevin Nash who tweeted
“I lost a close friend today. If anybody in heaven is wondering who the cat in the ugly cowboy hat is it's Randy. Love you Bro. Never another.”

The biggest take away from Savage’s career was his notoriety amongst casual fans. Most of the girls I knew growing up would have rather had a midnight love session with Steve Urkel than watch 10 minutes of wrestling but they could have pointed Macho Man out of a lineup.

Fans love seeing him so much they’ll even superimpose his image into places he’s never been – a service offered by both Randy Savage Is Everywhere and Where’s Randy Savage?

Here’s the Macho Man image I remember most. I hate snakes more than anything in the world. I can’t even stand to see them on TV but I couldn’t turn my back on the Macho Man. I watched Jake the Snake’s pet Damien tear through Savage’s arm with tears in my eyes.



Not to worry though. Macho Man got his revenge and Jake the Snake is wrestling in high school gyms now.

So raise your glasses to the King of Madness, the seller of Slim Jims and one of the best all-around ring performers ever.

P.S. – In case Harold Camping was wondering why the Rapture didn’t happen Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment