BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

His Closing Argument: Bird Is the Word


You may have heard the stories about the Birdman of Alcatraz, the prisoner who healed and raised canaries from his cell. In Oklahoma there’s a new prison Birdman who loves a different kind of bird.

In 2005 Eric Torpy was originally sentenced to 30 years in an Oklahoma court after being found guilty of armed robbery but he had a strange request for the judge in the case – three extra years on his sentence. Torpy, a lifelong Celtics fan wanted his sentence increased to 33 years to honor his hero Larry Bird.

After serving six years Torpy is now having second thoughts about his request for extra time.

Torpy told the Boston Globe:
“I kind of wished that I had 30 instead of 33. Recently I’ve wisened up. That three is a big deal, you know? Three years matters.’’

Six years in an Oklahoma prison can be sobering I guess. Aside from realizing how stupid he was in 2005 he also seems to have a pretty good handle on what his hero probably thinks of him.

“I’m pretty sure he thinks I’m an idiot,’’ says Torpy. “I mean, truthfully, most people do. My own family does, so I’m pretty sure he does, too.’’

I guess Massholes don’t necessarily have to be from Boston. I just hope this guy is having a daily argument in the laundry room with a black inmate about the Lakers vs. the Celtics in the 80’s ‘American History X’ style.

Also, don’t fret too much for this guy. I’ve heard that if he behaves himself he could get out in a Ray Allen. Of course if he shanks someone in the shower they may tack on a Danny Ainge.

No comments:

Post a Comment