BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Twitter Edition)


After MendenhallGate (possibly the “gate” with the most letters ever) I know I haven’t exactly come to the defense of athletes on Twitter. But just to show I’m not against all NFL RB’s who pontificate thoughtlessly on social networking sites I’m coming to the defense of one Reggie Bush.

Bush made headlines this week with a round of enthusiastic tweets about how he was spending his time off during the NFL lockout. Bush first tweeted:
“Everybody complaining about the lockout! Shoot I'm making the most of it! Vacation, rest, relaxing, appearances here and there! I'm good!”

He followed that up with this gem: “Right about now we would be slaving in 100 degree heat, practicing twice a day, while putting our bodies at risk for nothing.”The tweets set off a firestorm of criticism from Bush’s Twitter followers and NFL fans and forced him to later tweet that he was joking. Honestly, the tweets may have been a joke but I’m not sure if Bush is deserving of criticism if they weren’t.

NFL fans are upset they don’t have football and they’re looking to lash out at a spoiled athlete, which Bush certainly can be called. But Bush didn’t create the NFL lockout, the owners did. Bush and his colleagues aren’t skipping work; they’re locked out of the building.

Many Saint and NFL fans may think Bush should join Drew Brees and other Saints participating in informal team workouts but I don’t see his incentive to do so. What if he were to get hurt in a non-contact drill? I don’t think the Saints would be willing to honor his contract if he was injured, especially considering they just drafted a running back in the first round.

Obviously fans have a right to criticize whomever they want on Twitter. Bush opened himself up to that when he created a page. But fans should also stop and realize that the owners are the one to blame for no football. The players may be rich, spoiled and cocky but they didn’t start this.

No comments:

Post a Comment