BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

My Next Job?


As some of you may know I have struggled to find a sports information/marketing/journalism job after a hiatus in employment. The jobs I could get I wouldn’t want and I don’t have the experience needed for the ones I would want.

It’s a vicious Catch 22 or at least I think. Much like Dirk Diggler I still don’t fully grasp what a Catch 22 is.

Little did I know the entire situation is entirely my fault. Despite spending tens of thousands of dollars on two degrees I should actually be making minimum wage as slave labor for a sportswriter. Or at least that’s what former Kansas City Star reporter Jason Whitlock thinks.

Whitlock is looking for a new assistant and has taken to Twitter to find candidates but is now upset at the lack of enthusiasm in his job offer that pays $8-$10 an hour.

Here are some of his recent tweets:

“Finally getting an asst/intern. 8-10 bucks an hour. Need to be college educated aspiring journalist who lives n LA. Email ballstate68@aol

I started at $5 an hour. I'm looking for someone passionate who wants it. I started at the bottom.

You can see what's wrong w/America by some of the responses. People think this shit is easy and should be handed to them.

I lived in a 1-room efficiency w/roaches my first year out of college.... Keep watching MTV and VH1 and the un-reality shows.”

Don’t I feel like a douche now. Even though one room efficiencies in L.A. probably go for $1,000 a month and I have to pay the government about $500 a month for my useless education I’m being an unrealistic douche by holding out for a job with decent pay and benefits.

I’m just a spoiled, Kardashian obsessed brat who doesn’t want to rough it.
So it’s settled. I’m packing a hobo’s bindle, heading to L.A., setting up a cardboard box outside the bus station and taking Jason Whitlock up on his offer.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment