BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Garbage Time


It’s the beginning of May and we’re heading into the dog days of summer, which also means my return to the ballpark to root on my favorite baseball team, the Midland Rockhounds.

I’ll be heading to my first Rockhound game of the season next week and aside from hoping to get a good drunk on at Thirsty Thursday, I’m also hoping to not have a trash can chunked at my head.

The Rockhounds are a member of the Texas League, which recently garnered some negative attention after a melee in San Antonio that saw a Frisco Roughrider player Engel Beltre throw a trash can into the stands of Nelson W. Wolff Municipal Stadium, the home of the San Antonio Missions.

The trash toss came after Missions fans threw plastic water bottles toward the Roughrider dugout while Frisco manager Steve Buechele argued a controversial call by an umpire late in the ninth inninng. I guess this gives new meaning to getting trashed at a baseball game.

Now I’ve been known to get in a few altercations with opposing players, as I make it a habit to regularly single out and humiliate either the first or third baseman. I’ve always thought I was safe from retribution but now that the precedent of retaliation has been set in San Antonio, I may get my skull cracked. Oh well, that’s just part of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment