BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Top 5 Returns


I got some good ideas for the Top 5 sent in to me by one of my favorite Yard Dogs, Mr. Lil' Terry. So we're jumping back into this thing full force this week with the Top 5 Lamest College Mascots.

#5 Florida A&M Rattler

This is a pure hate pick. As you all may know, I am a complete snake phobic. I don't even enjoy seeing them on TV so the idea that a college would want to associate themselves with such a creature is beyond me. Aside from that, FAMU did a terrible job at making this thing look menacing. It looks like a distant cousin to Barney the Dinosaur.

Please note I'm keeping this Division I because if we got into the smaller divisions, we could go all night. Small school mascots are just ridiculous.

Here are a few examples.

The Wichita State WuShock

What the hell is that thing? I guess its a package of wheat or something. I'm going to give Wichita State the benefit of the doubt though because their mascot is the shocker and they have foam fingers with the shocker on them.

Saint Louis University's Billiken
According to Wikipedia a Billiken is: a charm doll created by an American art teacher and illustrator, Ms. Florence Pretz of Kansas City, Missouri, who is said to have seen the mysterious figure in a dream. In 1908 she patented the Billiken, who was elf-like with pointed ears, a mischievous smile, and a tuft a hair on his pointed head.

No comments:

Post a Comment