BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Old lady crushes steals more of my pride


Woman, 64, cards two holes-in-one
Associated Press

WHITLEY BAY, England — Ruth Day, a 64-year-old retiree from northern England, had the day of her life on the golf course last week.

Day shot two holes-in-one in the same round at Whitley Bay Golf Club, where she is a member.

"A hole in one in itself is usually pretty amazing," Day said in Friday's edition of the Journal, a newspaper in northeast England. "But I couldn't believe it when I did the same thing 10 holes further on."

The feat is rare. Golf Digest estimates the odds against a golfer having two holes-in-one in the same round at 67 million to 1.

But just last week, former Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Steve Blass made two holes-in-one in a span of 11 holes during the team's annual alumni golf outing.

Day shot her first ace on the 149-yard third hole on Sept. 9. She added the second on the 161-yard 13th.

"The first time it happened, my friend was the one saying 'It's going in. It's going in,' but I was relatively ambivalent," Day said. "Then the lads in front put their thumbs up to say it had gone in. I was pleased because it was my first hole in one.

"It was the second one that was really amazing because it was a more difficult hole. We saw it turn and then we went searching for it round the back to see where it was. We couldn't find it, and after a while we found it — in the hole."

Day said she has been playing golf for about 10 years.

"Some people go through their whole life and never get a hole-in-one," Day said. "I think there's only a very small number of people around the world who have done it twice in one round."

Speaking of honoring dead golfers or at least soon to be dead golfers, this lady had an amazing round. Willard Scott should set aside some time to honor her during his calvacade of the doomed.

I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of this old woman. I'll never hit a hole-in-one in my life. Never. Mark it down. This lady hit two in one round. Tis' bullshit! After stories like this and the Nebraska meltdown, I begin to wonder when my good karma is going to kick in. The Philipinos I gave my bedroom furniture to said I would soon be blessed. When's that going to happen?

No comments:

Post a Comment