BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Friday, September 25, 2009

College Football Picks

I'm in love with some of the picks this week. Of course after last week's success rate I'm probably due for an awful showing in picks. I'm willing to risk it anyway. Daddy needs some beer money. Let's get to it.

Winners are bolded


South Florida at Florida State -14
I think the Seminoles are closer to being the team that destroyed BYU than they are the team that had a close call with Jacksonville State. Plus, my favorite quarterback Matt Groethe is out for the year. Nobody circles the wagons like the South Florida Bulls, but I think the Bulls wagon is missing a wheel.

Wafe Forest at Boston College -1 1/2
Wake may not be a bad team, but I'll take the home team getting points.


Illinois at Ohio State -14
Illinois has just been god awful since making the Rose Bowl in '07. The Buckeyes is still hearing the rumblings about Tressel and I think they play with a chip on their shoulder.

TCU at Clemson -3
I know what I said the home team getting points but I think the Horned Frogs will take a major step forward as the mid-major representative in the BCS.

Arkansas at Alabama -17 1/2
Arkansas has a capable coach and QB so I can't see this game being a blowout. Alabama may have a great defense, but I think the Razorbacks make this interesting.

California -6 at Oregon
With USC on the ropes, the nation's eyes have turned to Cal as the eventual Pac 10 champ. Oregon took a big step forward last week against Utah so this game could be really interesting. Ultimately, I still think Cal is good enough to win by a touchdown or more on the road against the Ducks.


Miami -3 at Virginia Tech
This may be my mortal lock of the weekend. I'm not trying to put V-Tech down because they beat Nebraska but Tyrod Taylor is about as accurate of passer as David Patterson is a dart thrower. Miami's defense may not be as disciplined as Nebraska, but its much more athletic. We could be talking shutout.

Ohio at Tennessee -24
The Vols played well last week, but they're still not that good. Mix in a week of distractions and talk about the Florida game and I think they'll be in for a letdown. They won't lose but they won't win by 24 either.


Notre Dame -7 at Purdue
Purdue is one of the least talented teams in the Big Ten and I think Notre Dame is due for a convincing win. Jimmy Clausen is a on a hot streak and despite the fact that Michael Floyd is out, I like the Golden Domers big.

Texas Tech at Houston PICK EM
It's a Pick Em baby! I've been saying for weeks that Houston is overrated and suprisingly enough, I think Tech is underrated. The Red Raiders pick up this win and could potentially crack the Top 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment