BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, September 28, 2009

College Football Wrap Up


Not a good week to be a Top 10 team, eh? It also wasn't a good week to be betting games if you're me. I got beat up pretty bad on Bodog this week. Ohio State and TCU came through for me but Florida State, Miami and Cal made me look like a real ass. Of course, I doubt anyone say the Canes or the Golden Bears getting whipped so I guess I'm not the only one wearing the gridiron dunce cap.

Ole Miss at South Carolina
I wasn't real hot on the Rebels going into this game, but I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt. The Gamecocks defense again look dominating as SC got another win. Steve Spurrier has to hate winning this way, but a win is a win. Now if he could just get Stephen Garcia to throw a decent pass, the Cocks might stand a chance in the SEC East.


Miami at Virginia Tech
I'm not going to take back all the nasty things I said about Tyrod Taylor but I guess I have to take back some of them. He threw some pretty decent balls against the Canes, but he did the most damage on the ground. I was a bit worried Miami would be too agressive and overrun plays and the Canes D did just that. Jacory Harris was a bit overrated too.

Southern Miss at Kansas/ Nevada at Missouri
If these two teams are Nebraska's competition in the North then I think I'll go ahead and book my tickets for the Big 12 title game. The Jayhawk and Tiger defenses let these two teams get past them time and time again. Blaine Gabbert looked good Friday, but lets not forget Nevada has the worst passing D in the country. And I'm convinced Todd Reesing is just a punk. What kind of QB gets a taunting penalty?

California at Oregon
Cal was probably looking ahead to USC next week, but that's no excuse for this kind of loss. I don't think Cal was overrated either. I think the Bears just went out and crapped the bed, plain and simple. The problem with handicapping this game is that we were all too eager to throw Oregon under the bus after the Boise loss. The Ducks may not be too bad.

South Florida at Florida State
I said it myself. Nobody circles the wagons like the South Florida Bulls, but I didn't take my own advice and put my dinero on the Noles. South Florida is probably good, but FSU is the football equivalent of a schizophrenic. I feel bad for Bowden that its going to end this way.

Louisiana-Lafayette at Nebraska

We got the game on PPV and was really impressed with the effort in this game. The Huskers got their first shutout of the season and if they follow it up with a strong performance against Mizzou the Blackshirts may be back officially. It was also nice to celebrate the 300th straight sellout. Its nice to see the Husker fans could keep alive the only streak that Bill Callahan couldn't kill.

Texas Tech at Houston

Tough loss for Tech in a game the Raiders could have won. Houston's offense is dangerous but the Raiders should be capable of a better defensive performance than that. I know Oklahoma State didn't do any better, but I think defenses should be held to a higher standard than that. Of course the hot button issue is Mike Leach's 4th down decision making. I'm not going to beat a dead horse. I've always had my gripes with Leach's decision making. But I'd remind all the Tech fans that are bitching, that they're the same people that have sung Leach's praises when his fourth down gambles have worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment