BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, September 21, 2009

Huskers, Hide the Knives



Huskers drop heartbreaker at Virginia Tech
By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

BLACKSBURG, Va.— We’re still befuddled that we saw what we really saw. Victory seemed so certain, and then it pulled the cruelest of moves. It switched dance partners. Just switched and disappeared with someone else.

The Husker football team was about to earn its biggest win in eight years. And then, and then …

“It was like a stab in the chest,” Husker wide receiver Niles Paul said.

Bo Pelini looked like he’d suffered one of the toughest losses of his career when he spoke to the media after Virginia Tech’s 16-15 win Saturday.

You could understand. Pelini’s offense moved the ball consistently but didn’t score touchdowns. His defense was awesome for 59 minutes and then …

A busted coverage and broken hearts. Tech quarterback Tyrod Taylor, unimpressive all game, let loose with a heave. And to everyone in the stadium’s shock, a wide receiver was completely by himself.

Danny Coale caught the ball at about the Nebraska 40-yard line, and Husker safety Matt O’Hanlon chased him. O’Hanlon finally caught Coale, but he was at the 3 by that point.

It was an 81-yard play with 71 seconds left. Lane Stadium shook and Husker fans all over the globe were asking: What happened?

“I don’t know. Did you watch it? You saw what happened. Let’s go to the next question,” Pelini said. “It’s pretty obvious what happened on that. I’m not going to sit here and belabor the point.”

Husker secondary coach Marvin Sanders said it was a punch in the gut similar to last year’s 37-31 overtime loss at Texas Tech.

“What I saw, the quarterback rolled out, and Matty (Matt O’Hanlon) didn’t get deep enough,” Sanders said. “But you know, that was one play and the kid played good all game. I’ve just got to get him coached up a little better.”

O’Hanlon came back on the next play to sack Taylor at the 11. An incomplete pass followed. Third down loomed. Hey, maybe the Huskers were going to have their biggest road win in 12 years, after all.

No, no, no. Taylor scrambled for what seemed an eternity. Husker players were all around but no one got to him. Taylor let the pass go. The roar that followed was all you needed to know.

“That situation is tough. He’s scrambling and everything. I personally had a great shot, but I didn’t get there in time,” said Ndamukong Suh, a monster all game. “And I can only hope that the next time I’m in the situation I make the play.”

No excuses from Pelini.

“You have got to make the sack,” he said. “You have got to go get them. We didn’t do it. The guy was scrambling and he got them (Husker defenders) to stop and hesitate. They guy made a play; good job by them.”

Dyrell Roberts caught the pass low with Prince Amukamara covering tight. Officials reviewed it but the call was obvious. Only 21 seconds remained.

Husker players sunk to their knees. The results of most football games are easily explained. This one isn’t.

“It sucked, man,” Paul said. “It hurt real bad because I was for sure we were going to stop them. Our defense played a great game. I was for sure we were going to stop them.”

As you could all safely assume, I was more than distraught after the V-Tech/Nebraska game this week. I don't know if I've ever seen a team suffer a worse fate at the hands of so many little mistakes. Aside from the defensive meltdown in the last drive, Nebraska killed itself offensively with 35 yards of penalties in 5 plays in the 3rd quarter that took a 1st-and-goal from the 6 to a 1st-and-goal from the 41.

I mellowed out a lot quicker than I used to after the game. I thought for sure it would ruin the rest of my Saturday, but I guess the last five years of mediocrity has increased my tolerance for piss poor play. So, to all who are wondering if the loss finally drove me to suicide, I'm still around. And I think I took it better than this guy. ESPN really clowns on this tool.


No comments:

Post a Comment