BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

College Football Top 25


1. Florida (1) - The Gators can't be happy with Tebow concust, but on the bright side backup Jared Brantley looked pretty good leading the offense. The Gators now have a week off for Tebow to rest up.
2. Texas (2) - The Longhorns destroyed UTEP 64-7 as Colt McCoy threw for 286 yards and 3 TDs. So much for the flu. Now the Horns get a week off. Damn, is anyone playing this week?
3. Alabama (3) - I thought the Crimson Tide might struggle a bit with Arkansas. Boy, was I wrong. Greg McElroy had 291 yards passing and 3 TDs. Up next Kentucky, still reeling from the loss to Florida.
4. LSU (6) - I liked LSU from the start and had the Tigers winning the SEC West. I don't like the near miss with Mississippi State, but in a week when a lot of teams lost, its forgiveable.
5. Boise State (8) - The Broncos continue to win while the other Top 10 teams fall by the wayside. The Broncs' schedule will probably preclude them from losing another game so unless Fresno pulls an upset, we're probably looking at a BCS team.
6. Virginia Tech (9) - I'm still not psyched about the Hokies' D, but in that conference what they got is probably enough to reach the title game. It was a convincing win against Miami.
7. Oklahoma (10) - The Sooners got a week off to rest last week and gave Sam Bradford some time to stalk Dr. James Andrews to get his clearence to play. Miami will probably be smarting from last week's loss so this will be a big challenge for OU.
8. Cincinatti (16) - The Bearcats got a good win against Fresno last week and I decided to catapult them into the Top 10. I really just didn't like the thought of moving USC up after two uninspiring performances.
9. USC (12) - The Trojans jumped on Washington State early but fell flat in the second half, winning 27-6. USC will have to have its 'A' game to beat a Cal team with nothing to lose next week.
10. Ohio State (13) - Another solid win for the Buckeyes last week as they were one of the only teams that came through for me. Plus they avoided a fight after the obligatory midfield pregame trash talk jump off. Next up an Indiana team that almost took out Michigan.
11. Houston (23) - I've bashed the Cougars a lot lately so I figured I owed it to them to catapult them up the poll. Obviously, Houston's D is still quite suspect, but I'm not sure any team in the CUSA will expose them.
12. Oklahoma State (14) - The Cowboys took last week off. Crafty move. Plus, that loss to Houston looks a lot better now.
13. TCU (22) - I like the way the Horned Frogs got the job done on the road in Clemson. Its not an easy place to play. Plus they came through for me on Bodog and that should be rewarded. Up next: the rivalry game against SMU.
14. Penn State (5) - That was a piss poor quarterbacking performance from Darryl Clark, but I still think its an anomoly. The Nittany Lions will bounce back and challenge Ohio State for the Big Ten title.
15. Mississippi (7) - When making this pick I had to decide which performance I could forgive most easily. At the end of the day I could forgive Ole Miss tanking against a great South Carolina defense before I could forgive Miami's all out meltdown and Cal's destruction at the hands of Oregon.
16. Georgia (24) - A 20-17 win against Arizona State isn't going to bowl anyone over, but with the way Joe Cox is playing, the Dawgs still belong in ther SEC discussion.
17. Georgia Tech (19) - The Yellow Jackets got back on track with a solid performance against a UNC team that was only giving up eight points a game.
18. Nebraska (NR) - Did I just jump Nebraska seven places? Yep, and after Tyrod Taylor's performance against Miami, I think its well deserved. The Huskers are off this week and then its a game against Mizzou.
19. BYU (18) - I'm not trying to punish BYU, but after the way Florida State lost to South Florida, I think even less of the Cougars. I really think that OU game was a fluke.
20. Kansas (21) - I'm not impressed with the Jayhawks defense, but Reesing, Meyer and Briscoe continue to lead Kansas impressively on offense.
21. Oregon (NR) - I'm not quite sure how good the Ducks are but they deserved better than the treatment they got after losing to Boise. Saturday's destruction of Cal showed that this could be an interesting year in the Pac 10.
22. California (6) - The Golden Bears got completely dismantled against an Oregon team that the media was all too quick to bury at the start of the year. We'll see if they can get back on track against USC.
23. Miami (11) - We all probably starting drinking the orange kool-aid a bit too quick, but the Canes should still figure prominently in the ACC race.
24. Michigan (20) - I hate to drop Michigan after a win, but a one-point win against Indiana isn't exactly the kind of win to inspire confidence. But I do congratulate the Wolverines on starting 4-0.
25. Notre Dame (NR) - The Golden Domers keep finding a way to win. A 3-1 start is not bad in the grand scheme of things and is a good start to Coach FUDA keeping his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment