BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

They're Playing Football!



Not a shabby slate of games this week. Nothing to write home about, but you won't go completely batty. This week represents the last week for non-conference games for the most part. Next week we should get to the meat of the conference schedules and business will pick up.

Ole Miss at South Carolina

The Rebels will finally have another chance to prove themselves on the national stage after failing to impress in their opener against Memphis. I think Ole Miss will do well and Jevan Snead will get back into the informal Heisman discussion.

Miami at Virginia Tech


Virginia Tech has to be feeling relieved and somewhat good after the last second win against Nebraska last week. Miami is on top of the world after destroying Georgia Tech so this should be a battle for the ages. I think Miami gets it done because its defense is better than Nebraska's and the Huskers were effective in shutting down Tyrod Taylor for 59 minutes. I think the Hurricanes can do it for 60.

TCU at Clemson

The Horned Frogs have been auspiciously absent from the national discussion, while winning some small time games. Clemson isn't great but it'll be a much bigger challenge for TCU than Texas State. If TCU gets by this game they can start thinking about spoiling the BCS like BYu was supposed to.

North Carolina at Georgia Tech


I'm not sure where to go on this one. I like Georgia Tech to bounce back, but I really like North Carolina's team. I think Butch Davis has a special group of young guys. The defense is holding opponents to 8 points per game. I'm thinking UNC gets a close win.

Southern Miss at Kansas

If Kansas is going to lose a game they "shouldn't" then this is probably the game. Southern Miss' program is a far cry from its hayday from 5-6 years back but they can still be dangerous. I still think Kansas wins but I'll be hoping they won't.

California at Oregon


California is running on all cylinders right now. Jahvid Best has to be the Heisman frontrunner and the Bears are scoring 55 points a game and giving up only 10. Despite the fact that Oregon looked resurgent against Utah, I still like California in this one. I'm not sure what the spread will be, but I'll get to that in picks Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment