BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Friday, October 16, 2009

College Football Picks


Lots of good games this week but I'm not seeing a whole lot of bets that I'm crazy about. It looks like the kind of week that could cost me a ton of money. Oh well, never stopped me before.

Here's some ones I quasi like. Winners are bolded.

Iowa at Wisconsin -2 1/2
The Hawkeyes are 5-0 for the first time since the Brad Banks era and Wisconsin is 4-1 after two dismal seasons. But one of these teams is about to go tumbling down. Camp Randall is a very tough place to play but after the way Ohio State rocked Wisconsin and they way Iowa played against Penn State and Michigan, I can't see the Hawkeyes losing. I'd take Iowa and the points.

Virginia Tech -3 at Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech's offense looked great last week against FSU but the Seminoles have been up and down. Va-Tech is a bit stronger on D. The Hokies did allow Roy Helu to rack up almost 170 yards earlier this year but I think VT can focus on making GT QB Josh Nesbit one-dimensional and get the win.

Kansas -10 at Colorado
I think Colorado's early rally against Texas might have been its last gasp this season. Kansas has looked shaky defensively this season but against Colorado that shouldn't matter. I like Kansas giving 10 here.

Colorado State at TCU -22 1/2
Colorado State is only 3-3 this season but that includes a close loss to BYU so the Rams are probably better than their record indicates. Meanwhile, TCU has slumped against some not so great opponents lately. I'll take CSU and the 22 1/2.

Kentucky at Auburn -13 1/2
Kentucky looked resurgent offensively last week against South Carolina, which has a pretty good defense. Auburn got spanked by lowly Arkansas. I know the War Eagle is at home but I can't see giving up that many points after a bad loss. I'll take Kentucky and the -13 1/2.

THE BIG GAMES

Oklahoma vs. Texas -3 1/2
Of all the big games this weekend this is probably the won I like best. Maybe I'm underrating Texas, but I think OU will be able to rally behind Sam Bradford and win. The Sooners will be much better off if Browles plays at WR. On the other side of the ball Texas has struggled at times. Losing two running backs doesn't help. I'll take the Sooners and the points.

USC -10 at Notre Dame
This is the kind of game that Pete Carroll always has his team ready for, but this is arguably the biggest game Notre Dame has played in years. I know the Trojans will come in prepared, but the Golden Domers have been capable of keeping games close. I think USC wins a close one. I'll take Notre Dame and the points.

Cincinatti - 3 at South Florida
If I've said it once I've said it a million times, nobody circles the wagons like the South Florida Bulls. But I still like Cincy by a touchdown. Go Bearcats

Texas Tech at Nebraska -10 1/2
Nebraska has to be feeling good after beating Missouri and Memorial Stadium is a tough place to play. I think Sheffield's mobility will be a real asset against the Huskers but Tech has to keep the RB's active as well to keep this close. I like Nebraska by 10-14. I of course won't be betting the game so as not to jinx it but I can't stop any of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment