BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, October 19, 2009

College Football Wrap Up


I didn't really get a chance to pay attention to last week's slate of games for obvious reasons. I was focused on one game only, the results of which caused me to drink heavily instead of watching the late games. But I'll give my impressions about the final scores. Hopefully that's good enough.

Iowa at Wisconsin
If my previous theory holds then Wisconsin is about to go straight through the tubes and Iowa may start getting some serious love in the national power structure debate. The Hawkeyes have Michigan State and layups against Indiana and Northwestern before playing Ohio State. If Iowa still is unbeaten at that point I won't be surprised.

Ohio State at Purdue
I did get a chance to check out the end of this game and more than anything I took away that Terrelle Pryor isn't as good as he was advertised coming out of college and may not be getting the tutoring that he may need at Ohio State. I wonder if he regrets not going to Michigan now. Purdue had been enduring a rocky season so its a good win for Danny Hope.

Oklahoma vs. Texas
This one was boring, right? I felt like I was watching an SEC game. I thought the game showed that OU still has a talented and viable defense but has some problems on the offensive line, but we knew that coming into the season. Texas' offense failed to break out but the Longhors D got the win.

USC at Notre Dame
I know Notre Dame isn't interested in chalking this game up as a moral victory but to the rest of the nation, that's what this game seemed like. USC got up big late in the game but the Irish refused to quit and made this one interesting. I thought if Notre Dame won Jimmy Clausen would go to the top of the Heisman race. I don't think this loss hurts his chances too much.

Virginia Tech at Georgia Tech
Kudos to Anonymous who called this game in the Comments section. But they also picked Nebraska so they can share in my pain.

Big 12 North - The Bad
Kansas lost to Colorado and Missouri got blown out by Oklahoma State. On a week when Nebraska looked as bad as possible, the Jayhawks and the Tigers lost games they could have won. A Big Red thank you to Colorado and Okie State.

Big 12 North - The Good
Kansas State now leads the North after destroying A&M 62-14. And it wasn't even as close as the score indicates. I kind of feel bad for Mike Sherman, but not really. As bad as the Blackshirts ever got under Callahan, I don't know if they were worse than the Wrecking Crew is right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment