BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Aggies Hump It in Hub City


Texas A&M leaves Red Raiders searching for answers
By Alex Ybarra/Managing Editor

Trailing by two touchdowns to Texas A&M just before the half, it was loud and clear what fans wanted Saturday at Jones AT&T Stadium.

“No more Potts,” chanted the student section as Texas Tech players motioned with their hands to quiet down.

Those chanters got their wish after two possessions to start the second half. Potts was rooted in the pocket and sacked by A&M’s Von Miller. The ball squirted out of his hands and the Aggies recovered.

In came quarterback Seth Doege, who immediately showed more mobility and awareness than Potts. It didn’t change the outcome though, which was a crushing 52-30 loss to a rejuvenated Texas A&M team.

All the blame can’t be placed on Potts though, as Mike Leach, receiver Alexander Torres and defensive lineman Colby Whitlock put it after the game: This was a team loss, plain and simple.

“We have a great play and then not a real good play,” Leach said. “I mean, you can go through any position you want and the same description applies to all of them. You want safeties? How about linebackers? You know? Running backs? D-line? Quarterbacks? Hell yeah on quarterbacks.”

Some may question whether the absence of quarterback Steven Sheffield had any impact on the game.

Leach has said in previous weeks Sheffield brought a certain enthusiasm and leadership quality to not only the offense but the entire team.

He said Potts looked “statue-like” in the pocket and he never got in a rhythm. Potts turned the ball over three times while passing for 310 yards and two touchdowns on 25-of-36 passing.

I don't have much of a take from this game as my judgment was pretty clouded by o baby's, jager bombs, Coors Light and Boone's Farm challenges and my only means of experiencing the game was through Clay's car stereo in the West Commuter Lot. There were more than a few Tech fans who told me they had a bad feeling going into this game, especially with Potts starting but honestly I thought any QB could have torched the Wrecking Crew. I guess almost any quarterback could. If its any consolation to Tech fans, I doubt Zac Lee would do any better.

I did have a pretty good time in the Hub from what I can remember. Saturday night was a blur and my stomach paid the price on Sunday/Monday. I don't think I can really indulge like that anymore unless I want to start shaving months off my life. But luckily, I didn't do anything stupid so that's nice. Maybe I'll make it up for the OU game but I can't party that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment