BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

VH1 then MMA. Next stop for Canseco - County Fair.


Canseco strikes out in MMA debut
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

YOKOHAMA, Japan — Former baseball slugger Jose Canseco came out swinging but didn’t last long in his debut in mixed martial arts.

Canseco was stopped by South Korean super-heavyweight Hong Man Choi just one minute 17 seconds into the first round at Yokohama Arena.

The referee stopped the fight when seven-foot-two 330-pound Choi knocked the 6-4, 240-pound Canseco to the mat and started punching his head.

“That’s a big man,” said Canseco, the 1988 American League’s MVP who has written several tell-all books about his career and drugs in baseball. “I ran into one of his left jabs and that almost knocked me out. You have no idea how scary it was facing a man that big.”

Canseco did land the first blow with a right to the upper body of Choi but that was all the damage he could inflict on the Korean giant.

Shortly into the fight, Canseco hurt his right knee and was unable to do much after that.

“I hurt my knee back home real bad but I didn’t want to disappoint the fans,” he said. “I knew that at some point during the fight my knee was going to give out and once I was down I knew I wasn’t going to get up. He’s just too heavy to move.”

I sort of like Jose Canseco. I guess its that whole 'I love a-holes' Rick Fox thing I have. But now I'm starting to hate him and that's why he needs to go away. If me, a guy who doesn't care about baseball who quasi likes Canseco is tired of him, then everyone is. What's his next move? Wrestling Pacman Jones at company barbecues? I wish he'd go Kenny Powers style and start teaching gym. What a clown.

No comments:

Post a Comment