BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Gruden to Monday Night Football; the nightmare is over


Gruden joins 'Monday Night Football,' replacing Kornheiser
ESPN.com

Jon Gruden intends to coach again, but until that day, the man known throughout the NFL as "Chucky" will get to sharpen his teeth in ESPN's "Monday Night Football" booth.

Gruden will join play-by-play man Mike Tirico and analyst Ron Jaworski in September, replacing Tony Kornheiser.

"This is a tremendous opportunity and I am very excited to be associated with ESPN and Monday Night Football," Gruden said in a statement released by ESPN. "I grew up a fan of Monday Night Football, and whether I've coached on Monday night or watched, I've hardly missed a game all these years.

Kornheiser decided to step down after three years of MNF, citing his fear of flying.

"I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons," he said. "I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would've frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself."

"If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden," Kornheiser added. "He is the two things you most want -- smart and funny -- and has the two things I don't -- good hair and a tan. I love PTI and am looking forward to continuing to yammer and yodel with Wilbon until the end of time."

YES! As many of you may know I am a huge Tony Kornheiser fan and I have been sorely disappointed that instead of contributing his radio excellence to the world he has instead decided to be a punching bag for football starved NFL creatons. Now Satch can get back to his wonderful radio show. Welcome back Mr. Tony. Now get me a podcast in the next week or there will be hell to pay!

No comments:

Post a Comment