BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Price Is Wrong Bitch!


Bob Barker: Dissing Drew Carey Was 'Idiocy'
By Us Magazine

Bob Barker regrets coming down so hard on his "Price Is Right" replacement Drew Carey. On Tuesday, the retired game show host, 86, suggested to TMZ that Carey was a rather boring host, sniffing: "I tried to make the show really exciting, and he doesn't do that. He just plays the games."

But later that same day, he backtracked. "I would not criticize Drew Carey. I would not criticize this show," he told Entertainment Weekly. Barker has good motivation to play nice: "I have a sizable royalty that I am paid every year this show is on, and it’s going on for years. I would be an absolute fool."

Barker retired from the show after 35 years in 2007, when comedian and sitcom star Carey, 52, stepped in. He told EW that Carey has "been charming and complimentary...kind and gracious. To think that I would say anything derogatory about him is idiocy."

The elder game show legend joked that, going forward, he'll be sure to "keep his mouth" shut when facing reporters.

Well you can't blame Bob Barker for trashing the current incarnation of 'The Price Is Right.' As a life long PIR fan I have to say that right now the show is pretty much unwatchable. Barker did a good job of playing up how crazy the fans were while also keeping them in check. It was important for him to assert that he was the star and not the contestants. They were merely pawns. Carey pretty much lets the inmates run the asylum and just smirks like a douche. So I'm glad Barker trashed him.

My question is, why is PIR still paying Bob Barker? I know the show was only successful because of him but I would think his previous compensation coupled with the show protecting him after he sexually harrassed/assaulted pretty much every female employee there would make them even. But maybe not.

P.S. - I just wish Bob had given Drew this treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment