BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, July 12, 2010

BYB Express

Well you may not have to watch ESPN and Lebron team up to make a spectacle of themselves for another couple months but you don't have to sit through one more Lebron story today in the BYB Express. Don't think of it as getting less blog. Think of it as getting more time to get in shape for our 10 Year Reunion this weekend.

F My Life Moment of the Day
Today, it was my family's annual reunion. I invited my boyfriend hoping he would make a good impression on my family since they had never met him before. He stood me up in front of my whole family. I found out why later when I received a call from him in the county jail. FML

Wal Mart Person of the Day

I never knew Flock of Seagulls were popular in Mexico

BABY NO LONGER ON BOARD

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



It's a shame when you see an entrepreneur who doesn't full understand how to sell his product. I mean, 20 bucks for a baby? That baby should have at least brought in a benjamin. I mean Humble Pie paid that much plus a case of Heineken for Penny Lane and she was already used up. That baby has 18 years and potential to do some good for a family. Just imagine if the baby became a child star. Then this guy would really feel stupid for selling the baby that cheap. It justs goes to show that one man's trash is another's treasure. The cast from 'It's Always Sunny' learned that in Season 3.



Texts From Last Nite Moment of the Day!

(585): If my bosses could see, smell or hear me right now they would understand why its a horrible idea to keep the office open sundays

ESPN'S 'THE DECISION' WAS AWFUL, SHAMEFUL TELEVISION
By Ken Schott/dailygazette/com



It took 17 questions, but we now know where King LeBron James is going to play basketball for the next few seasons, the Miami Heat.

Twenty-eight minutes into ESPN's 73-minute infomercial "The Decision," Jim Gray FINALLY asked the question every NBA fan wanted to know, would James stay with the Cleveland Cavaliers or take the free-agent route.

This whole thing was crap. From Stuart Scott fawning over James, to the person who sounded like a poor man's Sean Connery describing the process was just awful.

You know what would have been better? "The Decision" should have been turned into the old game show "Love Connection." Instead of Gray, Chuck Woolery should have hosted and asked the questions. James' suitors would be able to talk about themselves, the audience would have voted for who they thought James should play for and James would have made his decision.

I guess the only good thing is that James didn't wait until the end of the show to make his decision.

ESPN, that sound you heard is the door slamming on your integrity and leaving Connecticut, never to return.

We return you to your regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.



I think I came away from 'The Decision' most troubled by the fact that summer sports suck so bad that we got conned into watching an hour long infomercial for egotism, self promotion and sensationalism. Not that I'm really suprised by any of it. In fact, I more suprised that guys like Ken Schott expected better than this from ESPN. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything he says but this is what we should expect from ESPN. They aren't just reporting the story anymore. They're part of it. Jim Gray basically played the part of PR hack about as well as he played being Kobe's ghost writer in L.A. when Shaq and the Mamba were fueding.

Now what has followed has suprised me a bit. I don't get why Cavs owner Dan Gilbert is so upset. He may be right that Lebron quit in the playoffs or that the Cavs did a lot over the past few years to prop Lebron up. But they did so because it was in their best interests to. The fact is that he played out his contract. Of course, that's a rational response to Gilbert's anger. An irrational one? Calling him a racist, likening him to a slave owner and likening Lebron to a runaway slave. Thank you once against Jesse Jackson. And Jackson claimed Gilbert put Lebron in danger. I'm sorry I didn't realize Lebron had to race an angry mob out of Cleveland on foot. I thought he flew via private jet.

But I digress. Ultimately I'm glad this whole thing is over. And the best thing I heard during the weekend was that Lebron's defection to Miami harkened to this classic sports moment.




On this day in…
1543 – King Henry VIII of England marries his sixth and last wife, Catherine Parr at Hampton Court Palace.
1804 – Former United States Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton dies after being shot in a duel.
1962 – The Rolling Stones perform their first ever concert, at the Marquee Club in London.
1979 – Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey Park Chicago, IL

Births
1908 – Milton Berle, American comedian (d. 2002)
1959 – Charlie Murphy, American actor and writer
1977 – Brock Lesnar, American mixed martial artist and professional wrestler
1978 – Topher Grace, American actor

I'd normally go with a birthday spotlight here but I thought it might be nice to spotlight the death of disco.



CORPSE-SMELLING FLOWER TO BLOOM IN TEXAS
By QMI Agency

An extremely big, rare and smelly flower is poised to bloom in Houston, Tex., this week.

It's called a corpse flower, and it rarely blooms, even in the wild. Only 100 of the endangered plants have ever bloomed in cultivation, the first being in 1889. Only 28 have bloomed in the U.S.

The 29th will spring open any day now at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, reports the Houston Chronicle.

The corpse flower — so named for its pungent odour — can grow to 10-feet tall and five-feet wide, making it the largest flower in the world.

When it opens up, it emits a smell like rotting flesh to attract carrion-eating beetles and flesh flies, which pollinate it. It looks like a big green pod, with a giant pinkish endive inside, surrounded by purple.

Its Latin name is Amorphophallus titanum, which roughly translates to giant, shapeless phallus.

The corpse flower at the Houston museum is nicknamed Lois — after a former staff member's mother — and weighs 30 lbs.

Take that Lady Bird Johnson and your beloved Bluebonnets - there's a new flower in town and this one stinks like death. I haven't seen a flower get this much attention in Texas since the Tyler Rose. But in all seriousness who the hell wants to be working in that museum when that flower blooms? I think I'd schedule my vacation around it. I wouldn't be suprised if the janitor just up and quit. Also, who's the mean bastard that named the flower after his mom? I guess she must not have had a good scent to her. But I bet she was a sweet old gal and a hell of a good cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment