BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Jose, Can You See (How Far You've Fallen)?


Ex-college coach to fight Canseco
By Benjamin Hill / MLB.com

"A lot of people didn't think this was real, but we're dead serious."

That's how Arkansas Travelers general manager Pete Laven describes his team's latest and greatest promotional stunt, which, truth be told, does sound a bit implausible.

On July 9, University of Arkansas-Little Rock assistant athletic director (and former head baseball coach) Gary Hogan will face off against Jose Canseco in a pregame boxing match. Yes, Jose Canseco, the one-time "Bash Brother" turned tell-all memoirist-turned-boxer. Over the past two years, the former slugger has consistently engaged in promotional boxing matches in order to earn extra income, and it was after one such match that an idea was planted in Laven's head.

"After I saw Canseco fight [NFL player-turned-sportscaster] Vai Sikahema, I thought of Gary because he still spars at the local gym and has a high-energy manic personality. I got in touch with Canseco and came to terms with him, all the while making sure that Gary was working out and ready to do it. Now it's almost upon us, and it really should be a great event."

Canseco, who turns 46 on Friday, is no spring chicken. But he's a veritable youngster next to Hogan, who is 60.

"My blood is on Pete's hands, this is his fault," Hogan said. "He came by one day and hung that carrot in front of me, and I'm just a stubborn old mule. I really didn't plan on boxing again."

Hogan insists he will be well-prepared for the fight, which will consist of four two-minute rounds.

"Jose's a big guy and will probably weigh in around 235. He's going to try to shove me around, so I just need to keep him off of me, keep moving and keep jabbing."

Jose Canseco will do anything for money, won't he? I just wish I was there to get to see this sort of thing. If the Travelers were playing against the Rockhounds that night I'd probably just sneak myself onto the Midland bus and go along for a ride. But it got me to thinking that the Rockhounds should get in on this sort of thing. Maybe they could have Canseco and Juice the Moose in a no holds barred death match. Canseco owes the A's for years of pay so I think they could set this thing up. I think I'm going to call the Rockhounds front office tomorrow. But if you have any better ideas for Jose post them in the comments and I'll suggest them to the GM.

No comments:

Post a Comment