BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, July 26, 2010

BYB Epress

It's Moda again and you know what that means - it's time for the BYB Express. Don't think of it as getting less blog. Just think of it getting more time to read up on Padgate 2010.

F My Life Moment of the Day
Today, is my 21st birthday. I was having a party and went to buy alcohol for the first time ever. Expecting to get carded, I had my ID out. The cashier looked at me and said "We only need to see ID if you look under 35." FML

Wal Mart Person of the Day


DIRTY DEEDS DONE DEZ CHEAP!
Bryant won't carry Williams' pads
By Tim MacMahon/ESPNDallas.com



SAN ANTONIO -- Receiver Dez Bryant has done everything right on the field during the first two days of Dallas Cowboys training camp, but he refuses to participate in an NFL rite of passage.

According to the rookie first-round pick, Roy Williams and the other veteran receivers can carry their own shoulder pads after practice.

Williams gave his pads to Bryant after Sunday's morning practice, but Bryant declined to carry them. Williams threatened to go to "step two" when talking to reporters.

"I'm not doing it," Bryant said. "I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads."

"If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing. I just feel like I'm here to play football. I'm here to try to help win a championship, not carry someone's pads. I'm saying that out of no disrespect to [anyone]."

It's a common duty for rookies, who typically get some sort of hazing. Bill Parcells used to make first-round picks bring him water during breaks in practice. The Cowboys' rookie offensive linemen are given awful haircuts by the veterans at some point during each training camp.

"Everybody has to go through it," Williams said. "I had to go through it. No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie.

Calvin Watkins and Tim MacMahon have the Cowboys blanketed for ESPNDallas.com. Check in with their constantly updated coverage. Blog

"I carried pads. I paid for dinners. I paid for lunches. I did everything I was supposed to do, because I didn't want to be that guy."

What would "step two" be?

"We'll find out. Definitely going to find out," Williams said. "I don't know. I've seen guys take people's credit cards and go fill up their cards and wife's cards and everything. There's a lot of dirt that goes on in that locker room."

Williams, an Odessa, Texas, native and University of Texas product, is a frequent target of fan criticism due to his poor production since being traded from the Detroit Lions during the 2008 season. He was booed during Sunday morning's practice when he dropped a pass, although Pro Bowler Miles Austin didn't get similar treatment when he had a drop in the afternoon session.

"I bought a Ford F-250 2011. Everybody loves a new car but I also have a 2004 Navigator that's still running," Williams said about the perception that Bryant will soon be the starter. "So that's the way I feel."

Okay, aside from the weird ass quote about the new truck he bought, how can anyone not be behind Roy Williams on this one? Rookie hazing is a time honored, NFL tradition. Everybody has gotten some tasing. I'm sure Jerry Rice, Cris Carter and Michael Irvin had to endure some just like this. But its beneath Badass Dez. What a punk.

But inevitably Cowboys fans are going to see this the other way because Roy is the scape goat de jeur. I can't defend the guy's play last year but I'm pretty sure having a quarterback who cares more about his golf game than preparing for opponents might be a detriment too. And this sort of thing should fall to Romo too. He needs to know when to step in and nip this stuff in the bud aka telling the greatest receiver in the league history (who has yet to take a snap) to pick his battles. If he doesn't this might go to Step 2, but the Cowboys will be stuck on Step 1.

P.S. - Just look at how nice Roy is. He's signing a freaking Miles Austin jersey after getting booed in practice. If I was him I would have shoved the Sharpie down her throat. He totally needs a heel turn this season.


Texts From Last Nite Moment of the Day!

(214): things I have learned from cosmo today- 40% of guys are uncircumsized, you can have a beer facial, and i really need to get tested for std's

OFFSEASON NBA UPDATE - RON IS STILL GOD AND GOD IS STILL RON

How does the coolest NBA player in the world follow up what I hope is his First Annual "F*ck Lebron" Party? By playing dodgeball with a bunch of out of shape nobodys in L.A.



Is there anything this guy won't do for his fans? But I will say I would have thought he'd be a better dodgeball player. He kind of sucks.



On this day in…
1775 – The office that would later become the United States Post Office Department is established by the Second Continental Congress.
1788 – New York ratifies the United States Constitution and becomes the 11th state of the United States.
1908 – United States Attorney General Charles Joseph Bonaparte issues an order to immediately staff the Office of the Chief Examiner (later renamed the Federal Bureau of Investigation).
1945 – The Labour Party wins the United Kingdom general election of July 5 by a landslide, removing Winston Churchill from power.
1947 – Cold War: U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act of 1947 into United States law creating the Central Intelligence Agency, United States Department of Defense, Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the United States National Security Council.
1948 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs Executive Order 9981 desegregating the military of the United States.
1953 – Fidel Castro leads an unsuccessful attack on the Moncada Barracks, thus beginning the Cuban Revolution.
1990 – The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 is signed into law by President George H. W. Bush.

Births
1929 – Joe Jackson, American manager, the patriarch of the Jackson family
1939 – Bob Lilly, American football player
1945 – Betty Davis, American funk, rock and soul singer
1945 – Helen Mirren, English actress
1959 – Kevin Spacey, American actor
1965 – Jeremy Piven, American actor
1973 – Kate Beckinsale, British actress
1983 – Delonte West, American basketball player

I got my weekly reminder of how bad 'Entourage' has gotten last nite. But at least we have the memories. And despite gladly accepting the opportunity to go down with that sinking ship Jeremy Piven is still pretty great. Here he is being even greater.



COUGARS ON A COUCH



I guess it would be pretty cool to be responsible for having something as bizarre as a motorized couch banned from being used on campus. That would be a pretty good story for the grandkids. I wish I had one I would be able to tell my grandkids but I never did anything that creative. I was also too busy drinking and being debaucherous. I guess being a Mormon paid off this time. Oh, what am I talking about? I'll never have grandkids anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment