BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Celtic Stroll


Rye man walking to NYC for Celtics tickets
By Charles McMahon/Seacoastonline.com

RYE — It's 10 p.m. Monday night, and Seacoast resident Tyler McGill is deciding whether to accept the most outrageous bet of his life.

Seated in a booth with friends at a local sushi restaurant, the 27-year-old has been offered a challenge by his old college pals to see one of the greatest sports rivalries in person.

The bet: Walk all the way from TD Garden in Boston to New York City within a week.

The payoff: Three tickets — worth thousands of dollars — on the parquet floor in the second row at midcourt for Games 3, 4 and, if necessary, 5.

"Basically, two of my buddies got three seats to all of the Celtics home games in the finals," said McGill via cell phone on Wednesday. "All I had to do was ask, 'What would it take to get me all of those tickets?"

"They said, 'Walk from the Garden to New York City and we'll get you to all the games."

Not even an hour after the conversation with friends, McGill said he was aboard a C&J Trailways bus bound for South Station.

Having begun his trek around the stroke of midnight on Tuesday, McGill said he was able to make it about eight miles until clouds gave way and rain showers threw a wrench in his plans.

"I had to turn around," he said. "I wasn't prepared."

Eventually getting a taxi back to Boston and then finding his way home to Rye, McGill said he felt dejected. After spending a few hours at home, McGill said he changed his mind.

"I guilted myself into trying it again," he said.



Not even 10 hours after giving up on his journey, McGill said he found himself getting a ride from a friend back to the exact spot he called it quits the night before to begin his trek once again.

Armed with a pair of shoes, shorts, a dry-fit T-shirt and a pack full of sunscreen, an iPod, baby powder, three pairs of socks, his wallet, cell phone and phone charger, McGill said he felt better prepared for the more than 200-mile trek to New York City.

Fast-forward to Wednesday at about 9 p.m., and McGill had made it nearly 80 miles and was walking through Putnam, Conn. Having just enjoyed a steak dinner at a restaurant downtown, McGill said he is beginning to feel the after-effects of his decision.

"I can't believe I'm doing this," he said. "I hate walking. I'm basically walking a marathon and a 10K everyday.

"I got trapped in rain yesterday, and Ruth in Sherborn, (Mass.) let me take a nap inside the Town Hall," said McGill. "The police were nice enough to give me a reflective vest to walk in, but made me promise to wear it to the first game I go to."

Having been approached by many motorists asking him if he needs a ride, McGill said the temptation is there, but not an option.

"It was brutally hard to say no," he said.

The nature of the bet is purely on the honor system, but McGill said he is required to send pictures from his cell phone to his friends every once in a while to update them on his travels.

While acknowledging he is Celtics fan, McGill said his main drive is his disdain for Lakers star Kobe Bryant.

Surviving on "mostly Charleston Chews," energy drinks and water, McGill said he is also depending upon the hospitality of those he meets along the way.

"A nice school teacher offered me a place to stay for the night, but I'm nearly 139 miles away and decided to keep walking," he said.

McGill said he wished to thank his brother, Ryan, for letting him take nearly a week off from running their Rye surf shop — Summer Sessions.

Word has begun to spread throughout the Seacoast of McGill's attempt at glory.

Jeanine Sylvester, owner of Runner's Alley on Congress Street, said she believes McGill will make it.

"He could absolutely do it in seven days, with 32 miles per day," she said.

Like I've said before I consider all things done in the name of Celtic Pride (awful movie by the way) to be douchey. But I've always been intrigued by the idea of walking a super long distance for some motivation. Like that former Giants defensive lineman who walked across the country. I think that was something 9/11 related but I'm not sure. So while I wish only the worst for the Celtics, the city of Boston and its inhabitants I hope this guy made it on time to the NYC and will be shipping back to Boston for tonight's game. In his honor I'll play the Dropkick Murphys. But I hope after the game I'm jamming Randy Newman.

No comments:

Post a Comment