BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Tell Me A Story


So my buddy Mac 10 sends me an email last week and tells me he has started chronicling our past misadventures. I guess he thinks he's an author now. So, aside from a few factual errors in the story (he had my prom date mixed up with my previous year's prom date and he overplayed how much I liked her), he did a great job re-telling this tale. So I wanted to give you all a look into what it was to be 17/18 year-old us. Enjoy. You may be reading the work of the next great American author.

It was like just about any normal night. I was sitting at home waiting for my number one running buddy at the time, Kyle Clark, to come over for some serious beer drinking and life contemplation. I was waiting later than usual because that night was Kyle’s senior prom. I had graduated the year before and after an incredibly lackluster some would say disastrous semester at Texas Tech University I was anxiously awaiting my departure date for the Navy. Kyle was a year behind me in school and was still somewhat miffed that I had botched our grand plan to live out between four and six years of a drunken stupor together in college. I knew there was no way in hell he would ever follow me into the Navy. The statement that “the military is not for everyone” was coined for Kyle Clark. For a man who knew everything there was to know about sports he had a physical prowess that was easily matched by my 80 year old grandmother. He was also far to congenial and lighthearted for regimented military life and could easily be brought to tears by a mildly sentimental long distance commercial.

For the rest of the story click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment