BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This Is Really Going To Piss Off the Maytag Man


Kenmore washers, dryers can talk on the phone
By QMI Agency

People who have recently purchased washers or dryers from Kenmore may have bought a new feature they didn't even know existed: an appliance that can talk on the phone.

The new feature allows customers to hold a phone up to their washer/dryer and let the appliance tell a customer service rep on the other end what's wrong with it. The customer service rep can then relay fixes to the appliance owner, or suggest that a repairman come to take a closer look.

According to a video posted on the company's website, the appliances emit a high-pitched computer noise similar to the sounds emitted by dial-up modems from the Internet days of old.

A computer on the other end then deciphers the signal and displays diagnostic information for the customer service rep who can then walk consumers through the repair process.

Kenmore and Sears rolled out the feature quietly earlier this year, so some users may have bought the new feature and not even known it. Consumers who bought the new feature will be notified by mail starting next week, according to a company statement.

Just when my iPhone 4 had pushed me to the brink or raging against all new technology, I read a story like this and I'm back in 100%. Is their really a day coming in the future when I don't have to explain why my appliances/computer/phone doesn't work to some Indian guy who probably hates me because he works for 14 cents an hour? Instead I can just hold the phone up to the damn machine and it explains it for me? That is single handedly the best idea ever. Maybe even better than sliced bread. The makers of the these washers and dryers deserve to be hoisted onto our shoulders. Unless the feature doesn't work. Then I'm going to beat them with a shovel right after I finish with Steve Jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment