BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Leach makes Aggies maddies


A&M's Sherman: 'Leach in no position to comment' about McGee
Brian Davis/Dallas Morning News

New Cowboys quarterback Stephen McGee was stunned to read comments from Texas Tech coach Mike Leach that blasted the current Texas A&M coaching staff.

A&M coach Mike Sherman wasn't particularly pleased, either.

"I don't understand Coach Leach's comments about Stephen McGee," Sherman said Monday. "He was named our starter until he got injured. I've always believed in Stephen's character and I've always believed in his talent, and I always will. I see him having an outstanding NFL career.

"Coach Leach is in no position to comment about my relationship with Stephen McGee."

Leach has a history of needling the Aggies. He was quoted Monday in The News saying he was happy for McGee, who was the first pick in the fourth round.

"The Dallas Cowboys like him more than his coaches at A&M did," Leach said Sunday. He could not be reached immediately on Monday.

McGee, a coach's son known for keeping his cool, bristled at that idea. He said Sherman and former coach Dennis Franchione played a huge role in his life and helped him become the NFL draftee he is today.

"I don't know where that comment came from or who it was directed at," McGee said. "But I am shocked because my time at A&M was very special to me. Obviously I got injured, and many people think that Coach Sherman benched me. That's just not true.

"If I had a son today and he was a college quarterback, I would send him to Coach Sherman or Coach Fran without any doubt, without any question, first and foremost.

"My time at A&M had some ups and downs, bumps and bruises. But I am so thankful for the time and proud to be an Aggie."

The ole pirate has been making some waves of late after blasting Browns coach Eric Mangini and then making the above remarks. The Big 12 South should be a dogfight next year and making enemies might not be the best plan of action. But of course A&M plays in Lubbock next year and they stand about as good a chance at winning there as I do in winning over Megan Fox.

2 comments:

  1. "The Big 12 South should be a dogfight" maybe for third place. And that dogfight will be between Baylor and Okie State.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may be jumping the gun putting Baylor in the mix for the top half of the division. That said, OSU should contend with OU and UT for 1st if their defense can stiffin up a bit.
    From there I still think Tech has a considerable leg up on the Ags and Bears.

    ReplyDelete