BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Pelini Punishment


Did Bo, Carl pay? Beebe won’t say
By Lee Barfknecht/WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

It remains unknown whether the Big 12 disciplined Nebraska football coaches Bo and Carl Pelini for their outbursts following the Dec. 5 league championship football game.

“This is a matter we’ve handled confidentially,’’ Commissioner Dan Beebe said from Dallas. “I can’t speak to anything else on that.’’

Texas defeated Nebraska 13-12 on a field goal kicked after one second was put back on the clock because of a timing review from officials in the booth.

Outside the Nebraska locker room, Husker head coach Bo Pelini screamed “BCS! That’s why they make that call!’’ and later yelped “Get Dan Beebe in here!’

Defensive coordinator Carl Pelini, after starting down the tunnel toward the NU locker room, turned back toward where Texas was celebrating and yelled: “You should be ashamed to accept that trophy!’’

After Nebraska’s formal postgame press conference, Beebe met briefly with Bo Pelini in the hallway outside the interview room.

“I think I gave the coach a fair chance to discuss it with me,’’ Beebe said. “The Nebraska folks expressed gratitude that I did that.’’

Potential penalties for unsportsmanlike behavior and commenting on officiating range from private reprimands to fines to suspensions.

In 2004, Kansas lost to Texas 27-23 after a controversial late pass interference penalty. In his postgame press conference, then-coach Mark Mangino said:

“You know what this is all about, don’t you? BCS. That’s right. That’s what made the difference on the call in front of their bench — dollar signs.’’

The Big 12 fined Mangino $5,000.

In 2007, the league fined Texas Tech coach Mike Leach $10,000 for comments he made about “atrociously bad calls’’ and “the sham’’ that instant replay is following a 59-43 loss to “higher bowl-wise’’ Texas.

I doubt Pelini & Co. received a fine for this one. The stakes were too high to risk the Pelinis blasting the Big 12 and the BCS in the post game press conference. I have no doubt in my mind that the Big 12 Commisioner pulled a gun on them and threatened to have them ground up and cemented into some spot at Cowboys Stadium.

Needless to say I can keep bitching about this all I want. Its not going to get that second of my life back. So if you can't beat em, join em. And by join em I mean the Alabama Crimson Tide. I have purchased my Bama shirt and when Greg McElroy, Mt. Cody, Mark Ingram and Julio Jones celebrate the ADT Trophy all will be right with the world. Roll Tide!

P.S. - This video may be horrible but for a white girl she's not a bad rapper. A lot better than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment