BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Friday, August 28, 2009

The African Billy Madison

89-year-old primary school student dies
By Tom Maliti, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NAIROBI, Kenya - A Kenyan man who was believed to be the world's oldest pupil has died at the age of 89, five years after he entered primary school so that he could learn to read the Bible, his family said Monday.

Joseph Stephen Kimani Nganga Maruge died Friday at the Kariobangi Cheshire Home for the aged in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi. He died of stomach cancer, said his granddaughter, Anne Maruge.

Maruge accomplished his biggest goal - being able to read the Bible - but he remained shy of completing primary school.

I wish I would have had an old man in my class when I was in elementary school. He could have informed me as to the ways of the world and bought me dirty magazines. Usually the only guys that offer to do that are the guys in the blue vans.

This guy probably wasn't much of a help in Red Rover though. You know, because of his osteoporosis. I'm sure naptime was probably a breeze for him though. This is why karma refuses to pay me back right? I'm going to hell.


No comments:

Post a Comment