BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Deputy Dog must feel conflicted


Deputy shoots dog
BY DOUG CARMAN/Odessa American

Ruben Dominguez was angry and looking for answers after a sheriff's deputy fatally shot his dog just before noon Monday while serving him papers.

He said deputy Bobby Hodges went to his West Odessa home 11 a.m. Monday at 12001 W. Everett St. while he was at work to give him papers on a child support case, when Hodges came across his rottweiler, Suki, and shot her when Hodges felt threatened by her.

"He had my number. After he shot my dog, he called me and asked if I could come out to my house... why couldn't he tell me he had to serve me some papers?" Dominguez said.

Sheriff Mark Donaldson said Hodges was justified to enter the yard to serve the civil papers and carry out police business if he felt it was safe to do so, and then he was also justified to shoot the dog if she threatened his safety.

"If a big rottweiler is coming to bite you and they can kill you, you have a right to protect yourself as any other citizen would," he said said.

Donaldson said Hodges saw things at the house suggesting there was a dog there, though he was not sure Hodges actually saw Suki. Dominguez said Hodges told him he saw Suki in the yard but decided she was not a threat, so he walked through one of the gates and approached his front door.

Then, according to the reports Donaldson collected from Hodges and another officer with him at the time, Suki started chasing Hodges. Donaldson said he jumped a brick fence near the front door but Suki kept chasing him, so the deputy pulled out his gun and shot him.

I expect this story will be the most controversial dog story in Odessa since the great Clark House Dog Attack Scandal of '07. There's really nothing comical about this story. I'm just interested in what people think about it. HINT - This might a nice time to finally comment. - I'm torn. I'm known to hate both dogs and the Ector County Sheriff's Department.

2 comments:

  1. This comment is going to be as short as Mark Donaldson's shirt sleeves.

    ReplyDelete