BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

They're Playing Football!


Obviously we don't have the same kind of highly touted games this week as we did last week on the college football schedule but maybe we won't be disappointed either. Here are this week's big time showdowns.

Arkansas at Georgia -2 1/2
The Razirbacks have been rolling over inferior opponents thanks largely in part to the arm of Heisman candidate QB Ryan Mallett. But now Mallett and the rest of Bobby Petrino's offense meets an SEC defense. The Dawgs will challenge the Razorbacks but I like Arkansas win a tough game on the road and make a big statement as a program.

Nebraska -3 1/2 at Washington
It's being billed by some as "The Battle in Seattle." This will be Nebraska's first true test of the year and a chance to tune up the engine before facing Texas in a few weeks. The Huskers have had lots of mental lapses in the first two weeks but expect Bo Pelini to put a sharper team on the field against the Huskies and for Nebraska to emerge with a close win. I'll take Nebraska by 6.

Florida -14 at Tennessee
Florida hasn't looked all that great this season. A sloppy game one was followed by a performance where the Gators went into the fourth quarter trailing South Florida. But this week the Gators are playing a team that can't even wash themselves properly. True, it is a rivlary game but I think the Vols wasted all the confidence they could muster to keep it close with Oregon through three quarters last week. I like Florida to cover.

Baylor at TCU -21
I thought this was a bit of a big spread. Baylor has showed signs of progress under Art Briles and Robert Griffin and has yet to give up a touchdown this season (albeit against Sam Houston and Buffalo). I can see TCU winning easily but I'm not sure the Horned Frogs win by three TDs. I think this will be a 10-14 point win.

Iowa -1 1/2 at Arizona
I hope you kids like staying up late because this 9:30 p.m. kickoff is the only matchup between two ranked teams this week. Nick Foles has the Wildcat offense humming and the student section will be night wild for this one but I think Iowa is too good to not pull this thing out. I'll take the Hawkeyes by a touchdown.

Texas -3 at Texas Tech
The Tommy Tuberville era has started 2-0 but has failed to amaze anyone right off the bat. Tech failed to keep a big lead against SMU and didn't blow New Mexico out by as much as I would have thought. Plus, Taylor Potts has failed to leave Steven Sheffield in his rear view. On the other hand Texas hasn't exactly wowed fans this season either with closer than expected wins against Rice and Wyoming. And its a night game in Lubbock which bodes well for Tech. I can honestly see the possibility of Tech winning but I think its more likely that UT finally wakes from its slump when faced with a challenge like this. I'll take Texas by 7-10 points.

No comments:

Post a Comment