BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Hey Reporter! Show Us Your T-I-T-S! Tits, Tits, Tits!


N.F.L. Looks Into Possible Harassment by Jets
By GREG BISHOP/NY Times

The N.F.L. is investigating the Jets’ behavior with a woman who was working as a reporter at Jets practice on Saturday. The reporter, Inés Sainz of TV Azteca, a Mexican television network, was reportedly harassed by players and coaches during practice and in the locker room.

The Association for Women in Sports Media asked the N.F.L. to examine the matter, and the league spokesman Greg Aiello said, “The Jets and our office began looking into it as soon as we learned of it.”

Jets public relations employees were present Saturday but did not take immediate action.

The New York Post reported that during drills, Dennis Thurman, the team’s defensive backs coach, purposely overthrew passes that landed near Sainz on the sideline. The Post also reported that linebacker Jason Taylor volunteered to join the defensive backs. Players also reportedly made sexually suggestive comments in the locker room after practice.

In a statement released by the Jets, team owner Woody Johnson stressed to Sainz that “he expects all members of the Jets organization to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.”



I think we might be making a bit much of this story. From the description of what went on during the actual practice, I'd say that's a giant leap away from sexual harrassment. It's more like playful banter. I will admit there were probably some pretty inappropriate things said in the locker room but that leads me to another point. Is it really appropriate to have reporters (female or male) in a locker room setting? That setting doesn't exist in college athletics and media coverage seems to be doing just fine. I think all media interviews should probably be taking place in an area without exposed genetalia. Call me crazy. That's just how I see it. I only conducted interviews in a locker room once and I was much less comfortable with some dudes dong a foot from my head while I was trying to talk to his teammate.

Also, it might not be an idea to wear painted on jeans to an interview. I'm not saying she she be blamed for provoking the situation with her attire but she probably should have known showing up in jeans that cut off her circulation might raise the eyebrows of a group of individuals that year in and year out show us they aren't capable of controlling themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment