BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cali Golfer Has Heat Stroke


Golfer's swing snags rock, sparks fire in S. Calif
AP

IRVINE, Calif. — Forget "Fore!" "Fire!" was the cry of the day for a golfer whose off-target swing sparked a 12-acre blaze in Southern California. The golfer at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine landed a shot in the rough Saturday.

On his next swing, his club snagged a rock, causing a spark that lit the rough ablaze and eventually attracted 150 firefighters to the scene.

Fire officials say the fire burned through the rough, into vegetation next to the course and over two dry, brushy hillsides.

No charges were filed against the golfer, whose name was withheld.

Boy, you've got to feel like a real asshole to be a bad enough golfer to start a fire with your terrible swing. I mean I've some pretty embarrassing things on a golf course (rip my shorts, twist my ankle, fail to outdrive my girlfriend, etc.) but its never been bad enough to call the fire department. In fact, one time I hit the tee box info sign and my ball actually traveled backward toward the clubhouse in view of everyone and that pales in comparison to this guy's bad day. I guess it just goes to show you. It could always be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment