BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

They're Playing Football!

As far as quality games go Week One of college football was...well...weak. They whetted the appetite. But this week we have some big time cross divisional showdowns and some stories rivalries that we can sink our teeth into. Unfortunarely all this chatter of grub has made me hungry and all I have in the apartment are stale saltines and beer.

Also to clarify things, this blog post is meant to highlight the big games. I'm not necissarily advocating gambling on them because they could go either way. All the picks I like are in the College Football Picks post.

Miami at Ohio State -8 1/2
Miami has been a team that we've all looked at as the sleeping giant for a few years now. But is the Hurricanes nap finally over? More pointedly - is Jacory Harris now experienced enough to go into a big game atmosphere like the Horseshoe and keep his cool? On the flip side can Terrelle Pryor show up in a big game the same way he did in the Rose Bowl. These two QBs are a lot alike in some ways (of course Harris is a bit quicker and flashier and Pryor a bit more imposing). But they're highly touted recruits with question marks looking to make their mark in 2010. I see a really great game in this one but the home crowd will prove too much for the Canes and the Buckeyes will edge out a victory.

Florida State at Oklahoma -7 1/2
The interesting storyline in this game is going to be how well new Defensive Coordinator Mark Stoops fares against his brother's team and their offensive firepower. Last week Landry Jones looked lackluster throwing the ball (2 INTs) but don't expect that two weeks in a row. Lots of people are saying FSU steals this one but because of how bad FSU's defense was last year, I can't think they've gotten immediately 10 times better. Jones and DeMarco Murray will have a big day on offense and out do what should also be a good offensive showing by FSU passer Christian Ponder. I'll take OU but I'm not sure if I like giving up more than a TD.

Michigan at Notre Dame -3 1/2
Last year proved to be an exciting game between two teams that we all thought might be turning the corner. The problem was neither team did. A week into the season these two teams might be just as optimistic with Michigan sporting a new "savior" at QB (Denard Robinson) and Notre Dame having beat traditional rival Purdue. This game could be just as exciting as last year's. I love what Robinson brings to the table for Michigan but ND has the home field and confidence with new coach Brian Kelly. I wouldn't bet on this game but if you hold a gun to my head then I'm taking Robinson against the Notre Dame defense.

Penn State at Alabama -12
No offense to Penn State. I'm sure the Nittany Lions aren't going to get crushed in Tuscaloosa but this probably isn't good timing for JoePa to finally come around to playing a freshman QB. I think the Bama defense, while young, isn't going to beat up on poor Robert Bolden. I'll take the Tide and give the points.

Oregon -12 at Tennessee
Noone can deny that Oregon looked good last week. With a new QB and a backup running back the Ducks still won 72-0. But it was against New Mexico. Tennessee is not going to be near the same kind of pushover but Derek Dooley does have a young and inexperienced squad. I've got to take the Ducks here even with the 12 point spread.

Idaho at Nebraska -28
What last week taught me was that I probably should be more optimistic about Nebraska's offense but more pessimistic about the defense. Kind of balance out to a general guarded optimism. But I can't get past the defensive mistakes last week by the Blackshirts and the fact that the offense only did so well because they were playing quite possibly the worst team in college football. I can't possibly bet against my Huskers but it might not be stupid if you did. I'll take Nebraska by 17-21 points.

Texas Tech -24 1/2 at New Mexico
Look 24 1/2 points is a lot. And the game is on the road. But how can you watch what Oregon did to New Mexico last week and not think Tech is going to do something almost as bad. I don't think the Raiders can shut UNM out like Oregon did but the offense will humm against the lowly Lobos. I've got Tech huge in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment