BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Worst Job Interview Ever


Jeff Ireland Apologizes for Asking Dez Bryant if His Mom Is a Prostitute
By Michael David Smith/NFL.Fanhouse.com

Miami Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland offered an apology Tuesday to Dez Bryant, the wide receiver selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the first round of the NFL Draft, for asking Bryant if his mother is a prostitute during an interview at the league's scouting combine.

Bryant, a talented wide receiver who at times got into trouble off the field while in college at Oklahoma State, first revealed in an interview with Yahoo! Sports last week that he had been asked that, but declined to say who had posed the inquiry.

Ireland has now acknowledged that it was him and said he's sorry.

"My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I'm consider drafting," Ireland said in a statement he sent to the Miami Herald. "Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions.

"Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.

"I appreciate his acceptance of that apology, and I told him I wished him well as he embarks on his NFL career."

Bryant told Michael Silver last week, "They asked me if my mom's a prostitute. No, my mom is not a prostitute. I got mad -- really mad -- but I didn't show it. I got a lot of questions like that: 'Does she still do drugs?' I sat and answered all of them."

Silver revealed that it was Ireland behind the awkward question in a column Tuesday, in which he referred to Ireland as an "A-list A-hole."

Ireland says Bryant has accepted his apology, so this particular issue may be over. But NFL commissioner Roger Goodell ought to demand that NFL teams start treating draft prospects with the same level of respect that employers in every other industry treat candidates at job interviews.

Am I the only one who's not completely upset with Jeff Ireland over this? You give give me that tired bullshit that NFL prospects deserve the same treatment as any other job seeker but is it really the same thing? Name me another job where you're about to hand over millions of dollars to an employee without the clear cut ability to fire him and get your money back. These NFL teams are trying to identify guys from troubled backgrounds who might not adapt well to having fame and fortune. So if one guy has to ask if your mom is a hooker I don't really see the problem. Dez Bryant better get some thicker skin or the Giants and Eagles will run right throgh him.

No comments:

Post a Comment