BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Greenman Got Robbed!


Charlie Day thanks 'Sunny' fans for the love
by Curt Wagner/Chicagonow.com

Charlie Kelly came up short in RedEye's Best TV Character tourney, but Charlie Day enjoyed the ride.

"I've been having a blast with the poll," Day told me on Thursday, a day before voting ended. "It's been a real kick."

Day plays Kelly, everyone's favorite waitress stalker, on FX's raunchy comedy "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." After more than 306,000 votes were cast, Michael Westen, the spy played by Jeffrey Donovan on USA' "Burn Notice," defeated Kelly today. See the championship round results here.

But if Charlie--either one of them--really had to fight Westen, Day knows he'd come out victorious.

"I'd do it as Greenman with a giant laser," he said, adding that the laser, of course, would be green. "I feel like I could get him from a distance."

Day said he was surprised to be in the championship round in the first place.

"I didn't think I'd get this far, so it's been a real kick," he said. "I never thought I'd get past Dwight from 'The Office.' That show is too huge."

Charlie Kelly was the underdog all along, pulling out surprise wins all tourney long. He took a chunk out of Eric Northman of "True Blood," then smoked John Locke of "Lost" and conned Neal Caffrey of "White Collar" before beating Dwight.

"I think they might have us in numbers but we might have them in passion," Days said of "Sunny" fans.

I was glad to see that the creator of the Daymman/Nightman/Greenman finished second in the best TV character poll but I can't believe he didn't finish first. Michael Weston? I've never even watched "Burn Notice" because it looks so damn cheesy (which is suprising because I susually slurp down anything USA serves and ask for seconds). But at least Charlie was fortunate enough to topple Dwight Shroot which may be the equivalent of the NC State/Houston upset. To celebrate the Silver Medal finish let's get to know Charlie Kelly a bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment