BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, November 30, 2009

College Football Wrap Up


The Rivalry Week setup screwed my college football/work schedule up this week. I normally work Fridays and have Saturdays off to glutton myself with gridiron action. But with the Husker game being played last Friday I had to switch and work Saturday. Thus, I missed the games but I'll get to what I saw.

Texas 49 at Texas A&M 39
I had this one pegged pretty well, although I didn't expect quite so much offense from A&M. I knew the Ags would be jacked up for this one and were much capable than in previous seasons of keeping this one interesting. They did just that with the help of superstar performance by QB Jerrod Johnson. I'd like to say this game gave me confidence for next week but the Huskers don't have anything at QB as talented (Lee) or polished (Green) as Johnson. It'll have to be a smash mouth attack and fortunately Aggie RB Cyrus Gray had some success running right at the UT front.

Alabama 26 at Auburn 21
Beano Cook describes the Iron Bowl as the Middle East of college football. Auburn must have generated some of that hate into a functional attack as the Tigers led early in this game. Auburn used some trickeration, including a double reverse and a onside kick to gain an early advantage but Bama stuck around and Greg McElroy threw 2 TDs to get the Tide the win.

Pittsburgh 13 at West Virginia 16
Only caught a few bits and pieces of this one before heading out for the evening but West Virginia was able to get payback for the loss that cost the Mountaineers a national title berth a few years back. Pitt can't be happy but this loss may be worst for Cincinnati as Pitt will now come into next week's game looking to play spoilers again.

Oklahoma State 0 at Oklahoma 27
I couldn't believe OU was favored by a touchdown going into this game but I guess that's the reason the Vegas bookmakers are rich and I live in my brother's back yard. I certainly wasn't going to count OU out but its hard to believe its the same Sooner team that got blasted by Tech. I'd also like to think that homefield advantage doesn't make this much of a difference in college football but OU's season is pretty good evidence it does.

Nebraska 28 at Colorado 20
Nebraska played the exact kind of game it will have to play in the Big 12 Championship to get the win against the Longhorns (minus giving up the garbage time touchdown.) The Huskers got a defensive score and a special teams score in the win to complement a still sputtering offense. In another bad turn Zac Lee came up gimpy after an option play so it seems the Huskers will have to pound the ball with Helu and Rex Burkhead, punt, play the field position game and hope for a turnover or two against the Longhorns. Sounds like a good recipe to me. Its certainly a dish the Blackshirts have served up a few times this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment