BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Monday, November 16, 2009

College Football Wrap Up


West Virginia at Cincinnati
Cincy was challenged but the Bearcats found a way to come out with the win. Plus, it seems like Chip Kelly has some sort of plan for solving his quarterback controversy, although it doesn't seem to be very fair to Zach Collaros. Basically Collaros drives them down the field and then they put in Tony Pike to throw a 3-5 yard touchdown. It reminds me of when Fred Taylor used to get Jacksonville all the way down the field and then Stacey Mack would get the TD. It was realy annoying if you had Fred on your fantasy team (and I always did).

Iowa at Ohio State
As last week pressed on this was how I saw this one going down. Iowa played with a lot of heart and got a decent game out of backup QB James Vanderburg before he crumbled on the last drive. So, another lackluster season from the Big Ten with Ohio State eeking out an unimpressive championship. Either Terrelle Pryor has a ton of work to do in the offseason or the offense is going to have to change to suit him (ala Vince Young).

Stanford at USC
Now this is just starting to get embarassing now isn't it? I understand this is a bit of a rebuilding/reloading year for the Trojans but giving up a school record in points at home to the Ivy League West isn't exactly what I thought was in store for USC. And seeing Pete Carroll be associated with a college defense this bad is just bizarre. Now all the questions have surfaced about the possible end to USC's dynasty. I sually think these discussions are just mindless fotter for ESPN but I can't help but think there's something to this topic. Maybe USC is starting the cycle back to the middle.

Utah at TCU
The Horned Frogs took care of business. Now they have to hope for A&M to pull a miracle upset against the Horns. Because TCU has to be the legit #4 in the nation right now.

Notre Dame at Pittsburgh
I didn't happen to see this game because we had Tech/OSU but this has to be the beginning of the end for Charlie Weis. Its going to be hard enough for his team to focus and beat Stanford but with the speculation over his future going full tilt I think a win in that game may be impossible. I know Weis getting fired won't push unemployment numbers up by percentage, but by mass the unemplyment line is about to get a lot bigger.

Tech at Oklahoma State
I'd love to have some great insight here but after drinking my way throught the early games and the Nebraska game I spent the first half of this one napping. I don't think I missed much. from what I did gather it looked like Tech couldn't establish a rhythym. Sticks didn't look like he was comfortable on his foot and may have come back too early and Potts looked shaky at times. Maybe Tech should have relied on the run game more but who am I to criticize. I did think the defense played pretty well.

Nebraska at Kansas
It was unimaginable but the Blackshirts actually struggled and the Huskers still got the win. Nebraska got a couple good breaks in the fourth and the offense was sparked by the running of Roy Helu and the pass/catch combo of Zac Lee and Niles Paul. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well the Big Red O played. It even killed my new joke.


A guy walks into a Nebraska bar during the Husker game with a dog. The bartender says "what's with the dog?" The man says wait and see.

After an Alex Henery field goal the dog starts howling 'There's No Place Like Nebraska.' The bartender says, "that's amazing. What does he do when they score a touchdown?"

The man replies, "I dont know. I've only had him since August."


Now the Huskers face Kansas State in Lincoln. If they win it means the Big 12 North Title and a trip for me to Jerry World.

No comments:

Post a Comment