BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

What happens in Vegas (better stay out of Buffalo)


Losman signs with Las Vegas UFL team
By Tom Friend/ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- Forced to choose between being an NFL backup or a starter in a fledgling league, J.P. Losman has taken playing time.

Losman, 28, said Tuesday night he has signed with the Las Vegas entry of the start-up United Football League, where he will be coached by former Giants boss Jim Fassel. He immediately becomes the league's marquee player, a former first round pick who was Buffalo's starting quarterback 33 times over the past four seasons.

An unrestricted free agent, Losman had discussions with Denver and Carolina this past offseason, but the Broncos signed Chris Simms instead, while the Panthers decided to stand pat. With Las Vegas, Losman will be arguably the face of a league.

"I'm trying to get back on the field as soon as possible," Losman said. "I love the game. I want to play this game. I don't want to be [in the NFL] waiting for somebody to get hurt or not play well.

In Las Vegas, he will be tutored by a veteran coach and coordinator in Fassel, who once reinvigorated the careers of John Elway in Denver, Boomer Esiason in Arizona and Kerry Collins in New York.

"If I had doubt that he should not be a starting winning quarterback, I wouldn't take it on," Fassel said. "But I had the same feeling with Kerry Collins ... J.P.'s got tremendous athletic skills. This guy should be a starter in the NFL. I mean, come on ... But I still understand you can help a guy. Even Tiger Woods needs a swing coach.

I must be confused. I thought the UFL had already folded. Maybe I dreamed that. But I went to their website and its still legit. Or as legit as any league can be that has a registration link for 'interested players.'

Thus far the UFL's big gets are former Bengal Chris Perry, one of the most overrated safeties ever Adam Archuleta and former Ohio State/Colts safety Mike Doss. I was actually suprised to see Doss listed because I thought he was decent.

But now the league has its #1 sexy name, J.P. Losman, who is one of the biggest wastes of time in NFL history and definitely the most in Bills history. Seriously if I had a rubber hose, I would beat him. Simply awful. Is anyone actually going to watch this crap? Vote 'Made Me Think' for yes and 'Pure Douchebaggery' for no.

P.S. - Nice analogy by Fassel. J.P. Losman shouldn't be allowed in the same city as Tiger Woods, much less the same sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment