BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Odessa really isn't the Music City

Rock on
ODESSA AMERICAN

Pepsi, MTV and Rock Band are teaming up to host a video contest.

And, according to the taglines on the submissions, a group of local kids have entered a video in the contest.

To vote log onto http://pepsi.yahoo.com/rockband/index.php, click the Video Gallery tab and then you can search for "21 Guns by Karl’s Tapioca War" from Odessa, Texas.

An e-mail alerting the OA about the contest didn’t say anything more about who made the video carrying the Odessa banner.

The contest ends July 28.

Nice reporting work here. The email was probably sent to you by the kid who made the video. Let's put two and two together here. Did you email them back? I'm not saying I always do my job well but that's why I ditched the responsibility associated with the Fourth Estate and went to the dark side.

That said, I went to the website and I haven't been as ashamed of the Odessa music scene since the time the guys who sang 'Who Got the Hooch?' played the Music City Mall.

The band, Karl's Tapioca War, picked some lame Green Day song and Green Day hasn't been cool since I was 11. Plus he references 'Friday Night Lights' in his video info. If you're music can't stand on its own don't drag Mojo Football in with you. Not to mention he writes that he wants to win more than anything ever. Well as a bright young mind from Odessa whose dreams were crushed, I wish this kid an early start. Life sucks.


Plus there's a group of girls who did the same song and rocked it out. Granted the prebubescant girls, named TMITC (Touch Me In The Crotch) must make their fathers weep but that doesn't mean they're not a better act. And after seeing Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera get rich acting like strumpets I'm not sure I can blame these kids. Anyway if you're not prone to bouts of sorrow over the fate of our country check out their YouTube page here.

I tried to post the videos but MTV sucks so they won't let me. I can't believe a fine company like Pepsi allowed themselves to get dragged into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment