BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Friday, July 31, 2009

Don't call him Rainbow Warrior!


Hawaii coach apologizes for gay slur
ESPN.com news services

Hawaii football coach Greg McMackin used a homosexual slur in describing a dance performed by Notre Dame players at a banquet prior to the teams' meeting in the 2008 Hawaii Bowl.

McMackin, speaking Thursday at the Western Athletic Conference media day in Salt Lake City, said each team came together for a cheer, and the Fighting Irish did a "little f----- dance" for Hawaii. The Warriors then performed a shaka, which is a traditional Hawaiian greeting gesture.

After using the slur, McMackin asked media in attendance not to report on it, then made a fumbling attempt at an apology. After departing the interview room, he later returned to apologize to reporters.

"I want to officially, officially apologize," the coach said, according to reports. "Please don't write that statement I said as far as Notre Dame. The reason is, I don't care about Notre Dame. But I'm not a ... I don't want to come out and have every homosexual ticked off at me. You know what I mean. Because I don't have any problem with homosexuals. But I apologize for saying that and I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't run that word.

"If you said dance, that's OK. But don't use the bad term that I chose, please. Thank you."

At the urging of conference officials, McMackin then made a more formal apology, and the university released a statement Thursday afternoon in which McMackin said, "I sincerely apologize for the inappropriate words that I used. My comments were out of character and I have no prejudices against anyone. I'm really upset with myself and I'm truly sorry for my remarks.

"I'd also like to add that I have nothing but respect for the University of Notre Dame. It's a fine institution with a proud football tradition."

Oh, man. This is quite a bummer. I came to admire Coach McMackin quite a deal during the 2002 football season. He, a veteran defensive coordinator, was nice enough to make time for a lowly student reporter, your's truly. One time I interviewed him in his office and I forgot to unzip my backpack but he zipped it for me. Come to think of it, the moment was a bit gay.

So I am asking everyone as a favor to take it easy on my boy McMackin. He's an old school guy and back then they called guys like Jimmy Clausen 'fag'. The term metrosexual hadn't been invented yet. Also, how homophobic could he possibly be? When he was the DC at Miami he coached this flamer.


No comments:

Post a Comment