BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bear Down: Briles Countdown Begins


Coaching school notebook: Briles happy at Baylor
BY GEORGE WATSON/AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

AUSTIN — When Mike Leach was negotiating a contract extension earlier this year, and his future at Texas Tech seemed uncertain, one of the names bounced around as a possible replacement was former Red Raider assistant Art Briles.

But Briles, preparing for his second season at Baylor after a successful stint at the University of Houston, said his focus was and has always been on helping the Bears improve.

“I am honored to be at Baylor,” Briles said to gathered media at the Texas High School Coaches Association annual convention. “I consider it a privilege to coach at Baylor University. That’s where all my energy and my passion and my goals lie.

“I think we closed the gap a bunch last year and had some great opportunities that we didn’t finish out. So we’ve got to finish what we started. The natural progression is to be a bowl-bound team and that will always be one of our goals, but we have higher aspirations than that.”

Briles can yodel all he wants about being happy at Baylor but like a school bus on a Sunday, I'm not buying it! Baylor has the worst facilities and the least amount of history/pageantry in the South. I don't think just having Robert Griffin is going to keep Mr. Briles in Waco. I've been saying it for a while and it's going to come true. Briles to Tech at the end of the '09 season. I wonder if Cricket's will let him transfer his mug from Waco to Lubbock. Better check with Wesley on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment