BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Friday, August 9, 2013

BYB Top 25 Countdown - # 24 Texas Longhorns

The following post is part of the BYB 2013 Preseason Top 25 Countdown. Continue to check in Monday-Friday each week as I count down the Top 25 teams in college football. I swear, even if I flake out and don’t do any other posts, I will continue the countdown. 

These picks are a reflection of how I predict the college football season will shake out. I performed a complex formula and broke down each team’s schedule, predicting wins, losses and push games, you know, games that I’m to chicken shit to actually pick a winner. I then ranked the teams with the most predicted wins highest and the teams with the least predicted wins lowest. 

This isn’t precise. For example, I have Texas at #23 with six wins, zero losses and six pushes. This means UT could finish 12-0, 6-6 or anything in between. While Texas is ranked low I think the Horns have a great chance at finishing the season ranked high.

The Top 25 is also influenced by other factors like strength of schedule and conference affiliation. 


Quarterback David Ash

As you see in my explanation of the picks above this low ranking for Texas does not mean I expect Texas to finish the season ranked this low. I actually have Texas winning the Big 12 this season. But when breaking down the schedule I only gave Texas six definite wins. On the bright side, I gave the Longhorns no definite losses. I’ve got them at 6-0-6.

Texas returns 19 starters from a mediocre 2012 team but the Horns looked impressive in a win against Oregon State in the Alamo Bowl and experience along the offensive line and on defense should make Texas much more competitive this season.

Quarterback David Ash has been erratic during his career but he outlasted Chase McCoy and benefited from McCoy being sent home from the Alamo Bowl after a rape allegation, which was later dropped. It’s now Ash’s team and he has a talented stable of backs including Jonathan Gray and Malcolm Brown, veteran receivers Jaxson Shipley and Mike Adams and five experienced linemen.

The Longhorn defense was anything but good for the majority of the season. The Horns gave up rushing yards in droves but Texas improved throughout the season and will count on DE Jackson Jeffcoat to disrupt opposing quarterbacks. They’ll also need the returning DBs to make up for the loss of Kenny Vaccaro.


I have Texas winning against New Mexico State and at BYU before push games against Mississippi and Kansas State, in which Texas will be favored. They get a tune up win at Iowa State before facing OU in a push game in Dallas. The finish the season with push games at TCU, Oklahoma State and at Baylor and what should be wins against Kansas, West Virginia and Texas Tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment