BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Friday, August 9, 2013

BYB Top 25 Countdown - Breakdown


The following post is part of the BYB 2013 Preseason Top 25 Countdown. Continue to check in Monday-Friday each week as I count down the Top 25 teams in college football. I swear, even if I flake out and don’t do any other posts, I will continue the countdown. 

These picks are a reflection of how I predict the college football season will shake out. I performed a complex formula and broke down each team’s schedule, predicting wins, losses and push games, you know, games that I’m to chicken shit to actually pick a winner. I then ranked the teams with the most predicted wins highest and the teams with the least predicted wins lowest. 

This isn’t precise. For example, I have Texas at #23 with six wins, zero losses and six pushes. This means UT could finish 12-0, 6-6 or anything in between. While Texas is ranked low I think the Horns have a great chance at finishing the season ranked high.

The Top 25 is also influenced by other factors like strength of schedule and conference affiliation. 

Just Missed Out – Records are (Wins-Losses-Push Games). 

#26) Baylor – I like the Bears level of talent. Lache Seastrunk has gone from being the turd in the punch bowl in Eugene to being an All-Conference producer at running back for the Bears. He and WR Tevin Reese will plan on Sundays but I have the Bears definitely losing at Stillwater and have them in fix push games, the majority will have them playing underdog.

#27) TCU – The Horned Frogs are a trendy pick for a lot of prognosticators. The typically stingy TCU defense should strong again led by All-American CB Jason Verrett. Brandon Carter should be great target at WR. The question is how Casey Pachall will rebound after a stay in rehab. I’ve got the Horned Frogs at 6-2-4.

#28) Oregon State  - The Beavers were a great story last season, finishing 9-3 in an improving Pac 12. OSU returns 17 starters, including two talented QBs in Cody Vaz and Sean Mannion. But I’ve got the Beavers losing two games for sure (Stanford, at Oregon) with four more push games.

#29) Arizona State – Todd Graham reminds most folks of Jumpin’ Joe from The Babe but he actually returns for a second season with the same school this year and returns 15 starters including All-American DT Will Sutton. That said, the Sun Devils have a lot of demons on their schedule. I have them at 4-1-7.

#30) Virginia Tech – The Hokies may have been the most consistent team on the 90’s and 00’s but this decade has not played out by book. QB Logan Thomas returns for what seems like his eighth year but he’ll need the rest of the offense to develop quickly. Clemson and Florida State are definitely the cream of the ACC.


I can't wait for college football season!


No comments:

Post a Comment