BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

I Volunteer to Hang Out With This Guy

Former Vols Quarterback Erik Ainge Opens Up About Drug Use



I was recently by a loyal BYB reader and friend to an ESPN.com article about former Tennessee and current Jets quarterback Erik Ainge’s battle with drug use. The hook for the article was a line by Ainge where he wrote,” I was a really bad drug addict. I would've made Charlie Sheen look like Miss Daisy.” Now that’s a statement. That’s the drug addict equivalent of him calling out Tom Brady. I perused the rest of the article and didn’t find the salacious details that one would expect when they compare their drug use to Charlie Sheen’s.

This was pretty much the juiciest tidbit:
“I made a lot of poor life decisions. I got a roommate, a friend from back home in Oregon -- big mistake. He moved in with me [in New Jersey], and he was a really bad influence. Between the two of us, we were sleeping with a lot of women from the clubs and bars, and it was a recipe for disaster.
I was getting drug-tested three or four times a week [by the NFL], but I continued to drink daily through the spring of 2010 and into the summer. That's when I relapsed with hard drugs. In July, I went on a two-week bender.”
Now there were probably some pretty wild things going on in that guy’s apartment but the cops didn’t get called so obviously he didn’t lock any hookers in a broom closet ala Sheen. So I’ve got one message for Erik Ainge – just because you ruined your life doesn’t qualify you as a Warlock rock star from Mars. You may have used a lot of heroin but you’ve never tasted tiger blood. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment