BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

What's In A Name? Part 2


Davis done with 'Big Baby' nickname
By Chris Forsberg/ESPNBoston.com

BOSTON -- Declaring himself fit for a change, Glen Davis said before Monday's Boston Celtics game that he's dropping the "Big Baby" moniker and is searching for a new nickname. When a reporter suggested the Chad Ochocinco-like "Uno Uno" to match Davis' No. 11 jersey, he instantly fell in love with it.

"'Uno Uno,'" Davis erupted in delight. "I like that, I like that. I'll be 'Uno Uno,' that's my new name."

Davis, who has had his maturity questioned through a series of events over the past year-plus, including an off-court fight that forced him to miss the first 27 games of the 2009-10 season, and last week's run-in with a fan where he was fined $25,000 for shouting an obscene phrase, is trying to distance himself from all that as he takes the next step in his maturation.

"I've been called 'Big Baby' all through my life," said Davis. "But I'm going through changes. I'm in a cocoon and I'm coming out a different player, a different person. Basically, the new person is growth. I'm shedding that 'Big Baby' and you can see something else, not the past."

Reflecting on the fine from last week, Davis again apologized and was effusive in his praise of the Celtics organization for hanging with him through his troubles, on and off the court. But, while noting he's focusing on the future, he suggested fans send new nickname suggestions to his Twitter page.

When Celtics coach Doc Rivers was informed of the nickname swap a short time later, he rolled his eyes and initially said, "Oh Lord, no comment."

When told it was about Davis trying to change his reputation, Rivers added, "Actions change your image most of the time, but we'll see. That's good though. It's a start, right?"

Why exactly is this a story again? The seventh best player on the Celtics is having some sort of inner turmoil and ESPN feels the need to put that on the news scroll? I know I'm guilty of running useless Lakers stories three times a week but at least I pull those headlines off TMZ and National Enquirer and not the Worldwide Leader.

I think "Big Baby" is just a little embarrassed that his nickname isn't being used to describe his large body and baby face, but instead his crybaby attitude, his griping about how Doc Rivers uses him and his outbursts against fans who have paid for a ticket and can criticize him all they want. I love Doc Rivers' comments about this guy. Actions change ones image, not cheesy suggestions from Twitter and slurping Beantown columnists. So get your fat ass on the court, play hard and stop bitching. Maybe then people will come up with a decent new nickname for you. For now I'll go 'The Sopranos' route and call you "Big Pussy."

No comments:

Post a Comment