BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Meet the future Mr. Pepsi



Marijuana Pepsi will see you now
By Mike Celizic/TODAYshow.com contributor

When Shakespeare asked, “What’s in a name?” he didn’t live in a world where pop stars call their babies Bronx Mowgli and students sit outside a college counselor’s office underneath a sign that reads: “If You’re Waiting for Marijuana, Sit Here.”

Celebrities giving their offspring names that they call creative and others call bizarre is nothing new, as Moon Unit and Dweezil Zappa could tell you. So when singer Ashlee Simpson-Wentz and rocker Pete Wentz had a son in November 2008 and named the tyke Bronx Mowgli, it wasn’t that surprising.

But celebrities aren’t the only ones who enjoy inflicting challenging names on their children. Take, for instance, the aforementioned Marijuana, whose full name is Marijuana Pepsi Sawyer.

Standing out
Somehow, as NBC News’ Contessa Brewer reported Thursday for TODAY, the woman named after a psychoactive weed and a popular soft drink made it through childhood, college and grad school and became a college counselor. “I’ve grown into my name because I am a strong woman. I’ve had to be,” Marijuana Pepsi said, adding that she still wonders what made her mother pick that name.

“I want to know, what was it about me that made her go, ‘You just look like a Marijuana Pepsi,’ ” she said. (Perhaps “Marijuana Doritos” didn’t have the same ring.)

Well I'm always on the lookout for my prospective first wife but I'm usually trying to size up the future Mrs. Clark. In this scenario though I think I'd have to change my name. If you think I'm going to turn down a chance to become Mr. Pepsi then you're out of your mind. In fact I think I'll change my first name to Styles as well. Styles and Marijuana Pepsi. Has a nice ring to it. And wait to you meet my first twin son and daughter, Ndamukong Pepsi and Suh Pepsi.

No comments:

Post a Comment