BYB on Facebook

Check out the Back Yard Blog on Facebook.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Cleaning Out My Alamo Bowl Closet


So I'm back from another wonderful week at the Valero Alamo Bowl and with all the added excitement of the Mike Leach/Adam James fiasco and the scaleback in responsibility, working the bowl this year was quite the enjoyable experience.

The fun all started when I got to my hotel room, had my shower beer and flipped on ESPN. That's when I heard the Flatlands Pirate had been suspended for the game. I immediately called Kelsey to give him the news but when I said 'Leach had locked Adam Jones in a closet' he was curious as to why Pacman would be frequenting Raider practices. Of course, it was Adam James in the closet and we went from there.





Normally media stuff for the bowl doesn't start until team doesn't start too early in the week but Ruffin McNeill had an impromptu media availability after Monday's practice. Ruffin was a little shaken by Leach's suspension Monday but got more eloquent and charming as the week went on. The highlight quote of his first interview - "Don't try and trick me, I've got two degrees."



But Ruffin wasn't the only one who had an impromptu interview arise. On Thursday Kelsey and I were lucky enough to visit Tech practice to hear from newly crowned offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley. Lincoln wasn't quite preaching the togetherness and family vibe that Ruff was, but he did put to bed all doubts that the Raider offense would come into the game shell shocked. His best quote was on whether Adam James would remain with the team - "If it's the best thing for Tech and the best thing for us he will and if it's not then he won't."

Here's the actual video Kelsey shot.



While the Tech representatives in San Antone handled their business quite well the bigger headlines were being produced by Mike Leach himself who released a statement where he stared down a teleprompter like Robert Goulet stares down a bighorn sheep and an ESPN interview where he called Adam James lazy and called the Tech administration liars. I'm not sure what was more entertaining, watching the myriad of fireworks shows from my 30th Floor window or watching Leach's interview.



The week ended with me being pretty confident that the team was going to put Leach in their rear view and play hard for Ruff. His excitement and enthusiasm for this game were palpable. He wanted to feel it all, know every reporter's name, answer every question. There's no question he got the full bowl experience, aside from missing out on dinner at Los Fogatos as he called it. Ruff said he couldn't find it. Too bad there's not a giant billboard on I-37 directing visitors to La Fogata.

Despite missing out on a tasty dinner Ruffin paced Tech's effort leading up to this game including infusing a disinterested Tech crowd at the Alamo Bowl River Rally with his excitement. I was also glad he didn't flip the barge over, which he came pretty close to doing.

Ruff was just as hyped up and emotional after the game which he called the most challenging and rewarding of his career. But the quote of the night came from Baron Batch - "I look up in the stands and I see 'Team Leach' and 'Bring Back Leach.' Leach ain't coming back.



And Batch's point may be what has surprised me most about this entire situation. I know I may fall far from most Tech fans on Mike Leach. I was never a big fan. I think he was a shameless self promoter and I think he was outwardly disrespectful of his bosses, which is something most Americans can't get away with. But I understand most Tech fans don't feel the same. What I find shocking is the assertion by many Tech fans that they can't put this behind them and get on board with whatever is next. That when Leach was fired, they quit on the program. Maybe I'm underestimating the connection Leach had with the fans but I missed the point when allegiances switched more to him than the program itself.

I can't imagine a possibility where I would quit on my team. If Nebraska fired Bo pelini tomorrow and hired Charlie Weis I'd still be wearing red on Saturdays. So let's leave the "my new favorite team is whoever Leach coaches" rhetoric on the porch. In a few months Tech will have a new coach capable of keeping things going, Adam James will be sporting that skull cap around SMU campus and we'll all be enjoying a beer at our favorite Lubbock watering hole and prepping for the next tailgate.

But while I found the threats of quitting on Tech and cutting Adam James' throat awful there were soem Team Leach gems this week including the ESPNHD sign that read
Every
Special
Player
Needs
His
Daddy

and the joke that Mack Brown should have been fired years ago because he kept Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley in the closet for years. Now that's funny. And if I had a quarter for every time I threatened to lock Kelsey in an electrical closet plus a quarter for every time Ruffin McNeill said adversity or Red Raider Nation I would be a rich man. But alas, I just work at a liquor store!

If you'd like to pump me for any other stories/inside info just get me liquored up the next time you see me.

The BYB will return tomorrow with it's regularly scheduled programming including a thorough breakdown of the BCS National Championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment